Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I'm new to the forum and site here and I did a little looking around but so far I haven't seen an answer I'm looking for. When my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Boot Errors

Hello!
    I'm new to the forum and site here and I did a little looking around but so far I haven't seen an answer I'm looking for.

When my computer is booting I'm getting some errors after grub loads, then it continues to boot into the GUI. The message goes by pretty quick so I can't read it all. However after the operating system is booted I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to get into the Linux part of the o/s, I can see the error messages displayed above the login option.

My install of this seems a bit quirky, things like there is 2 instances of my mouse(Lachesis) among a few others. I'm going to send error this info, like it is suggested after the errors, to my main board and kernel maintainers.

So my questions are, if I login at the terminal what command can I use to dump the error messages to a text file? Or is there a file created when the o/s boots that logs these errors that I can access? I looked in the GNOME terminal but it only lists my computers name and my login account name. Is there a way I can get the GNOME terminal to display the boot error messages? I can easily copy and paste out of that terminal.

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated!

Hpwdy and Welcome.

I believe that the logs are in /var/log/ somewhere. Try looking at /var/log/boot.log
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    Try dmesg as root.

Check /var/log/ directory for dmesg or boot.msg file.

Great!

Thank you for the responses!

I looked in the /var/log/boot but it just stated "Nothing has been logged yet". So I went on and found the dmesg file, actually a few. I'm guessing that as they get older they are g-zipped and archived due to having dmesg and dmesg0, along with dmesg.(1-4).gz. I perused them all and found the second set or errors but I had to write down the first set. I found it odd that it didn't log the first set. I say "set" because one deals with s-ata and one with the cores of the cpu. The first set of errors reads..

[ 2.120032] ata1: softset failed (device not ready)
    [ 3.220032] ata3: softset failed (device not ready)

not sure what that means exactly. I know that if I disable the ACPI 2.0 compatibility in the BIOS it will add another error of ata10 and adds about 6 minutes to the boot process.

The second set reads...

[ 4.498607] powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor processors (4 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)

[ 4.498617] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide ACPI _PSS objects in a way that Linux understands. Please report this to the Linux ACPI maintainers and complain to your BIOS vendor.
    [ 4.498670] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide ACPI _PSS objects in a way that Linux understands. Please report this to the Linux ACPI maintainers and complain to your BIOS vendor.
    [ 4.498723] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide ACPI _PSS objects in a way that Linux understands. Please report this to the Linux ACPI maintainers and complain to your BIOS vendor.
    [ 4.498775] [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide ACPI _PSS objects in a way that Linux understands. Please report this to the Linux ACPI maintainers and complain to your BIOS vendor.

Since there are four cores and four error messages I'm guessing it has something to do with the powering up/down of the cores as they are needed, but that is just a guess.

Does anyone have any ideas of any settings I can change? Or any suggestions? How to dive into this a little deeper to find out exactly what is causing the errors?

Thanks again for any help!