Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hiding directories and domain names

Hi,

I'm new to DNS & Apache stuff. Hope I'm in the right forum.

I have a happily working Joomla install located in /public_html/joomla on a Linux server. I asked my Hosting Provider how to change the location that my domain name points to, eg: from /public_html to /public_html/joomla but hide the subdir in the domain name so I don't see the /subdir at the end of the address. They said to use HTML frames, and hide a frame in a frame.

While I apreciate this will work, to be honest, it just doesnt seem very elegant, and kinda like going the long way round to get there. But then I don't know, as I am not aware of all the security issues they may be dealing with as a provider.

After reading the Apache configuration docs about Directory, Location, Alias, etc... it occured to me that it might be able to be handled in a .htaccess file with the RewriteBase directive changed to point to the subdir?

Am I barking up the wrong tree on this one?

Hey its a Noobs World isn't it?
    I knew this was all just a load of fooey.

It's called frame forwarding
    and you do it a domain manager app.

Whoever you bought the domain name thru can supply you the link to the manager app.
    Do a whois domainname via your fav search engine to find out who ya bought it thru