Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by arinlares I'd consider Slackware, but I've only got a 1GB flash drive for an install medium. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Slackware would fit. I'll see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by arinlares View Post
    I'd consider Slackware, but I've only got a 1GB flash drive for an install medium. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Slackware would fit. I'll see what I can do as far as testing it in VirtualBox, and maybe consider it for a future desktop system, however.
    One of the problems for new users with Slackware is that unless you know what you are doing, you need to install everything to have a working distro after installation. That leaves you in a position like you mentioned above because Slack with everything is big, and it probably wouldn't fit on your flash drive.
    oz

I'd consider Slackware, but I've only got a 1GB flash drive for an install medium. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Slackware would fit. I'll see what I can do as far as testing it in VirtualBox, and maybe consider it for a future desktop system, however.
    I was about to throw my hat into the Slackware ring until I read your last reply.
    Slack is awesome for intermediate users who want to know more.
    After reading your post, however, I thought about SLAX.

Even without SLAX, though, you can still have a fully functional Slack install on your HDD that takes up less that a gig.
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-03-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I give another +1 to arch linux. It is highly customizable and the net install iso is only like 150mb. Lots of packages, rolling release, and the AUR which once you learn how to use it opens up a whole slew of other things to install.

Linux Newbie
    SLAX... I think I've tried to get that running in Qemu once. Didn't work for me then, but I know slightly more, I'll, once again, try it in a VM ASAP.

I would recommend Debian. It's the ultimate middle-of-the-road distro, and you can choose whether you want the stable (tried-and-tested software) branch or the bleeding-edge unstable one. It has a 150MB net install too. Arch has a huge fan base and I can see why, but I don't think it's quite suited to someone who's only used Ubuntu before.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Linux Newbie
    There's also a live installer for Debian, right? I'll take a long hard look at Debian before deciding any final decision, as it's always one I've observed from a distance. It appears to be what I'm looking for.

oz
    forum.guy
    There's also a live installer for Debian, right? I'll take a long hard look at Debian before deciding any final decision, as it's always one I've observed from a distance. It appears to be what I'm looking for.
    Yes, sir... it's the Debian netinstall:

Debian -- Network install from a minimal CD

I personally use the "businesscard" image when I install Debian.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Sorry, I wasn't all that specific. I meant an image that has everything for a base system, and maybe a desktop in the image, no internet needed. I have a feeling a net install would take forever with my internet connection, as it's not the most stable connection out there.

oz
    forum.guy
    The last time I installed Debian, they didn't have a liveCD version, but that might have changed by now since liveCDs are the big thing. At one time, all of Debian was something like 15 to 20 CDs, or maybe several DVDs, but I'm not sure how big it is anymore. Of course, you only needed the first disk or two to get a working installation, then could pick up the rest off the web. If you didn't have a connection to the net, it was best to have all the CDs that contained software that you would want.

Not sure how it all works now.
    oz

Sorry, I wasn't all that specific. I meant an image that has everything for a base system, and maybe a desktop in the image, no internet needed. I have a feeling a net install would take forever with my internet connection, as it's not the most stable connection out there.
    If you are on dial-up then I suggest you don't install Arch, you will find it has regular updates and a lot of the install will be pulled from the net.

Debian stable is probably your best bet if you need to keep updates to a minimum. I put Debian on my laptop but have not really used it (put X and gnome on it and kept it patched) not many updates. Did a similar thing with Ubuntu and there are usually updates. Arch and Gentoo have regular updates with them being rolling release based.

... hope that helps ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast