Find the answer to your Linux question:
I listen to realtime radio on Radeo.net. since shifting over to Linux I have been having some problems with audio. another person here helped me get the live NPR feeds ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Player missing in Radeo.net

I listen to realtime radio on Radeo.net.

since shifting over to Linux I have been having some problems with audio.
    another person here helped me get the live NPR feeds working (there seemed to be a conflict between too many players, uninstalling Gnash and SWFDec or whatever cleared things up.)

the Radeo Player though is telling me "A Player is missing " and points me to links for WIndows Media Player, real audio, quicktime etc.

I presume I need one of these but when I went to Real Audio and downloaded the Linux version, a BIN file arrived.
    what do I do with it now?
    I tried searching for it with the package manager but it didn't seem to see it.

Peter

oz
    forum.guy
    Check out VLC to see if it will work for you:

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
    oz

The VLC plugin for Firefox has never worked well for me. I've always had the best luck with the gnome-mplayer based gecko-mediaplayer.

I checked out the site and it played fine for me using gecko. You can find it in synaptic. You'll probably need to disable or remove any other media player plugins for firefox, ie, totem-mozilla, mozilla-mplayer, mozilla-plugin-vlc.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    The VLC plugin for Firefox has never worked well for me. I've always had the best luck with the gnome-mplayer based gecko-mediaplayer.

I checked out the site and it played fine for me using gecko. You can find it in synaptic. You'll probably need to disable or remove any other media player plugins for firefox, ie, totem-mozilla, mozilla-mplayer, mozilla-plugin-vlc.
    I have to repeat this ritual almost every time I check out another distro...same thing with Flash plugins as you mentioned in the OP's other thread. I wonder why they do that, it's a PITA to me.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    and... it's working.
    don't really know how. I downloaded VLC and it seemed to still not work.
    then I downloaded gecko-player. and it still didnt seem to work.
    then I shutdown Firefox and restarted it and everything seemed good.
    very mysterious. just like WIndows Plug and Pray.
    (why does Linux have so many different ways of getting stuff "active" on the system? some applications just mysterious show up. others seem to have to be Applied via Add/Remove...)

thanks though.

then I shutdown Firefox and restarted it and everything seemed good.
    Unlike Windows, you rarely have to reboot for linux, but you do need to restart the programs for updates, plugins, and whatnot to be applied.

(why does Linux have so many different ways of getting stuff "active" on the system? some applications just mysterious show up. others seem to have to be Applied via Add/Remove...
    The Add/Remove thing is a front end for package management. It's an attempt to make things "user friendly". Synaptic is another front end, but has more options, for example, you won't find programs with a graphical interface in the Add/Remove manager.

There are so many ways to do things in part because of the nature and model of open source. Code is shared, lots of people utilitze it, build upon it, everyone has their own itch to scratch. It's simultaneously a great strength and weakness. There's a ton of option and choice but it can be kind of overwhelming.

Just Joined!
    Glad to hear that VLC is working for you with Radeo.net. We've also used mplayer on linux boxes.

Hope you continue to enjoy using Radeo!

Paul @ Radeo