Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im new to linux but a veteran to MS windows. I recently loaded linux mandrake on one of my older machines and had no problems installing or running. I boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake GUI wont load

Im new to linux but a veteran to MS windows. I recently loaded linux mandrake on one of my older machines and had no problems installing or running. I boot up and it asks me which interface i want Gnome or mandrakeX or something like that. Now out of blue it only asks to choose: linux, 268-7, 2425-2, failsafe, or floppy. No matter what i choose it ends in a command line login, no GUI and if i send KDE ,after i log in, screen flickers then i get error saying no screens found. Now again it worked fine for last week or two and i never got a command line until tonight. How do i get to my desktop back from here?!?!?

Get a latest version of Mandriva Mandriva
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Linux Newbie

no GUI

You mention Mandrake, which indicates an older version of what is now Mandriva. It might help to know which version of MDV you are running and what your hdwr specs are..

Sounds like an xorg.conf problem. As to why I can't tell unless your hdwr has changed or power configurations (such as apm on older PCs or ACPI on newer) between boots.

You are being dropped to a command prompt which is one of the normal run modes in linux especially if the graphics driver is having fits.

Try logging on as root and type "drakconfig" . This will allow Mandrake to re-detect all your hardware and allow you to reset/edit your graphics driver and other settings which should give you your GUI.

hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trio3b View Post
    You mention Mandrake, which indicates an older version of what is now Mandriva. It might help to know which version of MDV you are running and what your hdwr specs are..

Sounds like an xorg.conf problem. As to why I can't tell unless your hdwr has changed or power configurations (such as apm on older PCs or ACPI on newer) between boots.

You are being dropped to a command prompt which is one of the normal run modes in linux especially if the graphics driver is having fits.

Try logging on as root and type "drakconfig" . This will allow Mandrake to re-detect all your hardware and allow you to reset/edit your graphics driver and other settings which should give you your GUI.

hope this helps.
    thank you for your response, i tried drakconfig drakeconfig and as many diff spellings and all said bad command.

mandrake linux 10.0
    500mhz pent 3
    385 RAM
    radeon 7000 64mg vid

I tried mandriva one and burned iso and booted, and it only booted from disk and at end it went to black screen with cursor. i can type but no commends did anything. Until i cntrl atl delete then i saw login line but couldnt type anything as it started boot down process which i couldnt seem to stop. it spit out CD and restarted and came back to the mandrake 10 which is where I tried the drakconfig again and got bad command statement.