Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had some major problems with mandriva after some updates and lost access (at least beyond the black and white text screen, i.e. no gui that I could navigate, perhaps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

file permission between ubuntu and mandriva

I had some major problems with mandriva after some updates and lost access (at least beyond the black and white text screen, i.e. no gui that I could navigate, perhaps there is something i could do there) I have since installed Super OS in hopes of being able to view the files (one year's worth) and save them on my external drive before starting fresh with my computer. I figured that I needed linux in order to do this (i couldn't get a live iso of mandriva to boot, just took me to the same black screen where i typed everything i could think of) because I cannot access the linux partitions from XP. Now that I have Super OS, I can see the folder I want to copy/backup/save, but it tells me that I do not have permission to access them. What do I do?

I'm not familiar with Super OS, but I assume that it logs you into a user account on the live CD and not root. It's based on Ubuntu, right? Try opening nautilus as root. Press ALT+F2 and type gksudo nautilus, then navigate to your partition.

Just Joined!
    reed9, you are a lifesaver! The sudo command worked! Thanks!