Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've attached a file that is a .doc that is unopenable in OpenOffice (OOo 3.1.1 in Linux and 3.1.0 in Windows). It asks about a filter.... Can someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OpenOffice Filter?

Hi all,

I've attached a file that is a .doc that is unopenable in OpenOffice (OOo 3.1.1 in Linux and 3.1.0 in Windows). It asks about a filter....

Can someone test this and can someone explain why? This is just a .doc file, opens fine in MS Office, furthermore if I open it in MS Office and then resave with absolutely no changes I can open the new file. Is this a bug? I have no idea what the person used to make the file...

Just as a sidenote, this is a classmates work, so it's anonymous and shouldn't be reused or put up anywhere else. Thank you much!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, my OOo 3.1.1 opens it just fine, but there doesn't seem to be any content.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Save and rename the file to "GreenPA 650 Summary 3 copy.docx" The dox extension the important part. The documents is 5 pages about Tax Increment Financing - whatever that is!
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yeah there definitely is content (blinky...it's complicated ) So neither one of you got a request for a filter? I get it in both Windows OOo and Linux OOo.....

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    yeah there definitely is content (blinky...it's complicated ) So neither one of you got a request for a filter? I get it in both Windows OOo and Linux OOo.....
    After renaming the extension from .doc to .docx I get the contents, but no request for a filter. Perhaps your OOo configuration has some weird setting enabled?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's a Microsoft Word 2007 XML Template
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I get the filter dialog but thats just to select file type ... selecting 2007 xml opens fine . I'm on OpenOffice 3.1.1

why wouldn't it just open? This helps a lot but if I didn't know this person and it was a business contact sending me a file instead....it'd be nice if OOo just opened the file without having to rename or choose a filter.

As for the filter itself, I think it's 3.1.1 that's doing it, I have that installed in Windows and Linux, in Linux I have several plugins but Windows is just the default install so my guess is it's just the newest release.

Think this is a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    Think this is a bug?
    I don't think so ... OO just isn't sure of file type so prompts you to select.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I don't think so ... OO just isn't sure of file type so prompts you to select.
    Ditto. Since it is an Office xml file, the extension (.doc) was incorrect, so OOo needed some help. When I changed the extension to .docx, it was able to use the correct filter to open it. Frankly, it could be argued that it is an OOo bug since it should be able to determine the type from the data format, at least IMO. Oh well, I suppose we can't have everything...