Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have set up servers between two computers hooked up to the same router. But something has bothered me for years, i would think there is a simple(relatively speaking) way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

not so simple(maybe) networking question

I have set up servers between two computers hooked up to the same router.
    But something has bothered me for years, i would think there is a simple(relatively speaking) way this works.

I can't seem to understand is how to setup a server in Iowa, and have someone in Colorado access it.

All IP addresses Ive seen are 192.168.x.x., which obviously can't hold too many, so accessing a server in Iowa isn't going to work by just knowing the IPaddress the computer will tell you.

Ive run into DNS, netmask, gateways, and I can understand at least somewhat how they work, but it hasn't helped me to make a connection from thousands of miles away.

From what I can understand, I would need to find out multiple addresses(IP?), between each step the transaction would have to travel.
    Is this close to how it works?
    and how do I find out the info/addresses I need to find a server miles away?

I realize this may not have a simple answer, but it is something I would really like to know.

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what you are asking...

All IP addresses Ive seen are 192.168.x.x
    No, these are private IP addresses and are not routed on the internet. You can read more about public/private IP's from Wikipedia.

Short version:

You are home. You know you want to reach google.com. You type in google.com. Your machine's DNS client goes out and queries DNS servers - they answer that google.com is at IP address 64.233.169.106. Your computer looks at the networks it's attached to. It sees that this IP is not on a local network (what is a local network is determined by a combination of your own IP address and netmask.) If it's not on your local network, your machine can only send its request to your default gateway/router. From there, it is up to your ISP's networking equipment and other carriers to get that data to Google's servers - which then respond back to you.

...and that is as short as it gets.

Just Joined!
    what I'm looking for is how can I can tell my ISP that i want to talk to my computer at home.
    Is the only way to do this, outside of a private network, by registering a domain name?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jettlagg View Post
    what I'm looking for is how can I can tell my ISP that i want to talk to my computer at home.
    Is the only way to do this, outside of a private network, by registering a domain name?
    Domain names are how the entire internet works. So, yes, register a domain name, or else memorize the IP address you want to reach (and then pray that it doesn't change - which it will *eventually* if you are not on a "business" connection.)

** If you register a domain name, you must point that domain name to your IP address. If you are on a home cable modem/DSL - then the IP changes, you will need to update your domain name entry. There are also apps that will update this automatically for IP's that change frequently. Many cable/DSL modems can also update your DNS info automatically.

Just Joined!
    How do i find out what my public IP is?

Just Joined!
    i found it using curl -s whatismyip . org

Thanks for your help.

Linux Guru
    *Assuming you have one* (which you may not) - read it off of whatever connects you to your ISP...

Dial-up modem
    Cable modem
    DSL modem

One of those seems most likely...

If you have these attached directly to your PC, the NIC in your PC has the IP addressed assigned.

If you have something else between this device and your PC (such as a router/wireless router), the router will get an IP address from your ISP.

*Again, assuming you have a public IP*, you can also cheat and ask a webserver:
    What is my IP

** Not all ISP's provide public IP's. If you have a private IP, you cannot reach it from a network external to your ISP.

Just Joined!
    Well I used that website for 2 different comps and got the same IP address for both, what does this mean?(so that means my roommate has the same one too?),

would this create problems when trying to connect to it remotely with SSH?