Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mint Linux (Ubuntu based) and am having trouble with the on board video chipset: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) in that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Replacing a video card

I have Mint Linux (Ubuntu based) and am having trouble with the on board video chipset:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

in that the video (moving viedo) is all jerky when in full screen. I've asked around and apart from tinkering with Pulseaudio (which I'm getting conflicting advice about whether that'll do anything anyway) the only think might be to buy a better/more appropriate pci graphics card.

My question is:

1) what should I get?
    2) if I slot it in the PC and reboot - what happens then?
    3) what happens if I get a black screen and no video at all?

My biggest worry is going from watchable moving video (albeit in small-screen) to no video display at all because I made a hash of the install. I cannot afford to lose all video display as I have no idea how to get back to where I started!!

Nvidia generally works well with linux, though their drivers are proprietary. Some ATI cards works well using the open source ati drivers, but there's seems to be more trouble overall with them.

There are known problems with the intel drivers in many current distributions. You may be able to fix it by reverting to the older drivers or making some configuration changes.

Also, the issue should be mostly fixed in Ubuntu 9.10, which means the next Mint should have it fixed also.

Intel Graphics Performance Guide for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) Users|Ubuntu Geek

Just Joined!
    IIRC, ATI is actually *more* open, but it's just taking time for the open source drivers to catch up. Seems like they're getting there though, no?