Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm a native gnome user, I decided to install kubuntu-desktop on my Ubuntu machine. I can admit that it's prettier...still not sure if I think it's more functional, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

what purpose does kwallet have?

Hi All,

I'm a native gnome user, I decided to install kubuntu-desktop on my Ubuntu machine. I can admit that it's prettier...still not sure if I think it's more functional, I found myself using gnome software and removing a lot of the KDE stuff (like dolphin, I like nautilus a lot more). So my question, what is kwallet for? I just disabled it because.....frankly, I think Linux is already really safe, it still requires passwords for all the important stuff, I don't see the point in asking me "are you SURE that you want to run Amarok" "are you POSITIVE that you trust Firefox"....etc... etc....Every time I boot being asked for my passwords in order to get onto wireless was getting annoying too. I know that there are manual ways to set it up so wireless connects automatically and it only asks once about software programs but....what's the point in the first place? Is running Amarok really going to somehow be unsafe and therefore should require a request from kwallet? Or is auto connecting to an encrypted wireless really going to make my computer vulnerable without having to enter another password at all times....isn't having a really strong root password sufficient?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I don't recall running across kwallet opening with Amarok, but then I don't use either program.

In general, kwallet is similar to the gnome-keyring.

It's an encrypted central storage place for your passwords and credentials. You don't want to use the same password for your bank site and facebook and kopete and all that, kwallet is a safe storage place to keep all those, and not have to remember them all.

oz
    forum.guy
    One of the first tweaks I do right after installing KDE is to disable kwallet. It seems to get in the way, otherwise.

Perhaps it will grow on me some day and I'll want to use it, but not right now.
    oz

yeah I don't use gnome-keyring either (never really understood it). I do use different passwords, all of which are pretty secure, for basic things I have less "complex" ones than for things like my bank accounts but if I have so many different passwords that I'm having trouble remembering....I think it's time to condense
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"