Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got my moms ancient dell desktop comp in the mail, she has a new computer, but wants some old word documents off this one, I tried putting my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how to go about this ?

I just got my moms ancient dell desktop comp in the mail, she has a new computer, but wants some old word documents off this one, I tried putting my dvd burner in this, but it is so old, it didnt even reconize it. im not about to spend any money on this comp, except to put more ram and install xubuntu on it. was wondering if there is a way to drag those word docs aross to the linux partition, then somehow get them onto a newer windoes machine to burn them onto a disk ? thanks for any suggestions on this.

Linux support NTFS/FAT32 read/write access and you can copy/move contents of Windows Partitions to Linux easily. You have to mount partitions first.
    Boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro, mount partitions and copy documents to USB stick or Linux partitions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    thanks casper, so I can just do this right now, with a live c.d ? cool gonna do it tomorrow.

DC is right. Just boot from a LiveCD (my preference is Knoppix) copy everything you need to save to a USB stick, and it's all gravy from there.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You might want to try a XUbuntu live CD, or even Puppy, as I thought it also had a LiveCD (not sure about that one though).