Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm still quite new to Linux, but I've been working on this for quite a while now, and have come up with no solutions. Any help would be greatly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Winbind with PAM authentication.

Hello, I'm still quite new to Linux, but I've been working on this for quite a while now, and have come up with no solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Win2k server domain, and I've been working on adding a SuSE 8.1 Linux box to the network. I want to combine the Samba suite with PAM authentication to authenticate users with my Win2k servers. I've looked at what seems like 100 tutorials about how to set it up and get it working. None of them have helped me do it successfully. The most recent one is found here.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/winbind.html

I used the wbinfo tool as suggested, and no matter what switches I use, I get errors. With -u I get "error looking up domain users." I have a very simple smb.conf file.

[global]
    workgroup = SBH
    encrypt passwords = yes
    netbios name = SuSE
    security = domain
    password server = *
    winbind separator = +
    winbind uid = 10000-20000
    winbind gid = 10000-20000
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

I just trying to get this to work, and have had no luck thus far. If anyone could help me out, send me a link to a tutorial, give me some ideas, that would be great!

Thanx in advance. -Jim

Linux Engineer
    Check out my sambahowto on my page http://www.utterberg.com/ under the howtos section.

I connected my linuxserver that are using SAMBA to the microsoft network, the users will be resolved on the nt-domain and localy on you linux box, to be able to connect.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Andutt, thanx for responding.

I went through your how to, but I'm still haveing problems with my winbind daemon. It runs, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any other ideas?

Thanx again. -Jim