Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to Linux. I want to make the transition from windows (sick of it). Im using Lenovo G530 Laptop and was wondering which would be the best ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What should i install and how??

Hi, I am new to Linux. I want to make the transition from windows (sick of it). Im using Lenovo G530 Laptop and was wondering which would be the best Linux Os (meaning Ubuntu, fedora or something else). Keep in mind that I mostly use my laptop for college work and a lot of video and audio editing.
    I also want to be able to run Dual operating system (meaning that I wanna run both Linux and Windows) from the same computer as it might be easier for me to make the transition a little bit more easier. That being said I need someone to give me tutorials (video preferred) on how to make the partitions on the hard disk and step by step instruction on how to install both the two OS in my laptop.
    Thanks for your time and patience

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kextech View Post
    I also want to be able to run Dual operating system (meaning that I wanna run both Linux and Windows) from the same computer as it might be easier for me to make the transition a little bit more easier. That being said I need someone to give me tutorials (video preferred) on how to make the partitions on the hard disk and step by step instruction on how to install both the two OS in my laptop.
    Welcome to the forums!

Ubuntu or Fedora should work fine and either works well with Windows on a dual boot machine. The installer should take care of any partitioning needs for you. Just be sure not to overwrite your Windows partition if you want to dual boot. If you don't already have Windows on the machine, install it first and leave some unallocated space for Linux. When you boot the Linux install disk, direct the installer to use the unallocated space for your Linux system.

I've never used any videos for partitioning, so can't offer up any for that purpose.

Hope it all goes well for you.
    oz

Hi and Welcome !

As ozar suggested earlier, Ubuntu will work fine in your machine. Most of LiveCDs including Ubuntu have Partition Manager. You can create/resize/delete partition easily.
    Create 2 partitions for Ubuntu. 10-15 GB, ext3 for / and 1GB for SWAP.
    Ubuntu installer will detect Windows OS and setup dual boot itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kextech View Post
    Hi, I am new to Linux. I want to make the transition from windows (sick of it). Im using Lenovo G530 Laptop and was wondering which would be the best Linux Os (meaning Ubuntu, fedora or something else). Keep in mind that I mostly use my laptop for college work and a lot of video and audio editing.
    Thanks for your time and patience
    Hi,

I just went through the same thing with my changeout... Here is what I did:

1. Download and burn a Live CD of each Distro.
    2. Boot to each one on teh machine you will be using.
    3. Play with each for a few days.
    4. Make sure your hardware works, printers, speakers, etc...
    5. Once you decide, get a Net Install disk if possible
    6. install and set up for dual boot.

You are done...

Thanks,
    Dave
    NK7Z