Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This newbie will be delighted to supply that if you will kindly guide me through the process. Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

This newbie will be delighted to supply that if you will kindly guide me through the process. Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm heading to bed. I'll try to get to this tomorrow. Just to get you started, login or su to root and then cd to /var/log. That is where the system logs are kept. The command dmesg lets you examine (or control) the kernel message buffer. So, when you try to mount a disc and the operation fails, dmesg will show what the kernel thought was happening. This can help diagnose the causes of this sort of problem in more detail than the simple error messages you get directly from the application, such as the mount command gave you. As it said, try "dmesg | tail" after you try the mount again. You are executing the dmesg command and piping it thru the tail command which will only show you the last number of lines in the buffer. When you do that, post the output here.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Rubberman, Thanks for the guidance. I think this is the relevant bit:

# mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb1 resulted in

"Jan 8 07:49:27 Ubunutu kernel: [231057.465779] ReiserFS: sdb1: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on sdb1"

# mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb (mnt/sdb instead of sdb1) resulted in:

"Jan 8 07:52:37 Ubunutu kernel: [231247.424045] ReiserFS: sdb: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on sdb"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, it doesn't recognize what is on the disc as a Reiser file system. I'm out of ideas. Hopefully some other Linux "guru" on the forums will have some more ideas. Gotta go work now.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    I don't know if this will help, but you might check out the link below which is from an Arch Linux wili and has some info on Reiser, specifically Reiser4. Couldn't find a date on the link. You may need reiser4, but that's only a guess?

Reiser4FShowto - ArchWiki

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3