Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings all, I finally got fed up with Windows and decided to download and Ubuntu blah blah I'm sure you've all heard that before. I'm partitioning the drive and installing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux+Windows: Questions and Concerns

Greetings all,

I finally got fed up with Windows and decided to download and Ubuntu blah blah I'm sure you've all heard that before. I'm partitioning the drive and installing Ubuntu and Windows (XP, Vista or 7, not sure yet, basically just to run anything WINE can't), but am wondering...

1) If I boot OS#1, can the inherent flaws of OS#2 (on a separate partition) be exploited?

2) If I boot OS#1, is it susceptible to any spyware/malware/viruses/Trojans that might have infected OS#2? (I know this question is a bit general)

3) Would it be wiser to buy a separate HD and put Windows on that? Consider questions 1) and 2) with regard to separate HDs.

4) Can anyone think of something I haven't yet considered?

Thank you all in advance for your input. Forgive me if the answers are obvious, normally I would do more research but am in a hurry.

Jack

1 & 2) no, but if you share files between them then you might face an issue, windows virii will only work on windows though you could download an infected file on linux
    3) probably not, usually using multiple disks causes annoyances with booting

Quote Originally Posted by jackthechemist View Post
    Consider installing Linux and then installing Windows as a VM that way you have complete control over what Windows has access to.

You can dual boot Linux and Windows on the same hard drive or use separate hard drives. Using separate hard drives will only really help with security if you disconnect them when using the other OS.

ad 4:
    It might be better to install Windows first, then Ubuntu afterwards.
    This is because the Windows installer sometimes overwrites the bootloader so that only starts Windows.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackthechemist View Post
    Greetings all,

I finally got fed up with Windows and decided to download and Ubuntu blah blah I'm sure you've all heard that before. I'm partitioning the drive and installing Ubuntu and Windows (XP, Vista or 7, not sure yet, basically just to run anything WINE can't), but am wondering...

1) If I boot OS#1, can the inherent flaws of OS#2 (on a separate partition) be exploited?

2) If I boot OS#1, is it susceptible to any spyware/malware/viruses/Trojans that might have infected OS#2? (I know this question is a bit general)

3) Would it be wiser to buy a separate HD and put Windows on that? Consider questions 1) and 2) with regard to separate HDs.

Thank you all in advance for your input. Forgive me if the answers are obvious, normally I would do more research but am in a hurry.

Jack
    Actually I'd suggest installing Linux only on the hardware then running Windows through VirtualBox. That's the way I have it setup, and it works quite well. Windows is in it's own little world and unless I create shares between the instance of Windows and the Linux file system there's pretty much zero way for any flaws, bugs, etc to hop from Windows to Linux.

You'll need a decent system to do this plus Windows games that require lots of horsepower isn't ideal in this situation, but for those apps that Wine just can't hack this is the best way to do it. Plus you'll have the ability to run your Win apps and Linux concurrently.

Take care --

Sam

I have found issues with virtualbox, most notably major lag with videos (netflix streaming) and once in awhile I get network issues with it....I dual boot and just use Windows once every few months or so.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!

Thanks

Hello again,

Thanks for the prompt advice. I just finished backing up my files and will be installing Windows first, then Ubuntu.