Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a WD world book edition 1TB NAS drive, and just purchased an acomdata 1tb drive and connected it to the NAS via USB. If I recall I think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question rsync to copy directory tree from NAS drive question

I have a WD world book edition 1TB NAS drive, and just purchased an acomdata 1tb drive and connected it to the NAS via USB. If I recall I think the WD NAS has a ext_ or some type of linux filesystem on it, and the acomdata has a ntfs filesystem on it.

What I want to do is copy over certain directory trees of the NAS to the USB attached drive. I usually use MS synctoy to sync folders from my windows pc to the NAS drive, and MS richcopy to make the initial transfer from PC to NAS. For this operation though, since it is taking place entirely on the NAS and its connected drive, I thought that rsync would be the best option, and it is available on my NAS drive.

Last night I entered in rsync -avr /movies/* /usb1-1share1/ to copy the entire "movies" dir to the drive, which shows up as usb1-1share1 on the NAS drive. It copied most of the directory tree ok, but a lot of the folders were empty, so this morning I tried rsync -Carv --ignore-existing /movies/* /usb1-1share1/ to try and get all the files missed, without recopying the 24GB that did make it across. This also managed to copy a few more GB over, but not everything.

I am running the command from an ssh session on the NAS using putty on my PC, in as user "admin" which should have all rights over these folders. There is a bunch of errors in the command window like this:
    rsync: failed to set times on "/shares/usb1-1share1/movies/classics/fulldvd/First Blood DVD/.VTS_01_2.VOB.RxdjWZ": Operation not permitted (1)

I want to restart another session and get the files it missed, but I want to find out what I am doing wrong first. Should I be doing this as root user? am I missing some switches or just plain doing it all wrong?

thanks in advance!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just a guess, but the problem is likely in file names and the characters used. For example, an ext2/ext3 file system can take question marks and colons in a file name, but some file system types, such as xfs, don't allow them. Take a look at the files that didn't get copied and just try to create a file of that name on the USB drive to see if it rejects it or not.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I was thinking about that, but the files originally came from wy windows machine and I have not changed the file names, so they have been from NTFS-EXT?-NTFS. I am thinking you are correct in that it's an issue with the filesystems though. Perhaps I could just reformat the 2nd drive with ext, but I wanted to avoid that if possible.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, what could it hurt? ...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!