Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am planning to 'upgrade' my LAN. Presently,I have 2 pcs using RH 8 Linux connected by a cross cable. I am getting an ethernet adsl modem and router ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Questions on network and routers

Hi,
    I am planning to 'upgrade' my LAN. Presently,I have 2 pcs using RH 8 Linux connected by a cross cable.
    I am getting an ethernet adsl modem and router to enable internet surfing and sharing.
    The steps i have in mind goes as follows:
    a) Get a 4 port router
    b) Connect the 2 pcs from their respective ethernet cards to the router ports via RJ-45 cable
    c) Connect the ethernet modem to the router using RJ-45 cable
    d) Connect the telephone line from the eth modem to the wall

Are the steps and the hardware correct ?

Also, do all kinds of routers work on linux? The ones I am planning to get are US robotics, SMC, Linksys and Netgear Web Safer RP114RU. All are 4 port routers.

And all ethernet adsl modems work on linux,regardless of brand/model as long as the ethernet card is supported right?

Please reply quickly if you can....thanks!

Linux Guru
    Are the steps and the hardware correct ?
    More or less... Note, however, that cross-over cable is also RJ45, so you'll have to explicitly buy straight cable. The modem might require cross-over cable, though. You'll have to check that with the modem manufacturer.
    As long as the router routes IP traffic, it's compatible with Linux.
    I would recommend using one of the Linux systems as router, instead, though. That way you won't have to buy a hardware router, so it's much more cost efficient. Just slam in another NIC in it and configure your netfilter.

Linux Engineer
    That Should work fine...remember though to enable dhcp on your linux boxes, because your router acts dhcp-server also?!. Read a little about your router before you by it, so you can, if it is a wirelsess router get drivers for your linux boxes if you want to but wirelesscards in them.

Otherwise it looks good...

Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    true, you can make your adsl modem work as an dhcp server if you have one from alcatel. If anyone is interested, ask me and ill dig it up.

goog luck