Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im using an older machine to run linux slackware 9.0 Im using the black box as the x window manager the machine specs are 233 mmx pentium 32 meg of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Old Machine running linux

Im using an older machine to run linux slackware 9.0

Im using the black box as the x window manager

the machine specs are
    233 mmx pentium
    32 meg of ram
    6 gig harddrive
    older video card i dont know he make

im wondering what are some things i can do to enhance the performance of this machine while running it under the X window system

my primary use of this machine will be a printer server and a wins server for my network

Linux Guru
    Primarily, make sure what video card you're using (you can check with lspci), and get the latest XFree86 driver for it. Using lower color depths can also improve performance, but only to a limited amount. Just make sure not to load more processes than necessary. Mozilla eats memory. Make sure to have 64 MBs of swap space as well.
    The CPU is probably more than enough. The RAM size is a bigger problem. You might want to get through some troubly in order to obtain another RAM module for it. One of my friends runs GNOME on 133 MHz computers without any problem, but he has made sure to have at least 64 MBs in every computer.

Just Joined!
    You could just not use X...

For some time I used a Slack 3.5 box with 233 mhz, 32ram, .9gb harddrive, and a broken video card...I could run X with icewm at 400x300 with 16 colors. It was no slower than a nice big new distro on my 1.7ghz box. But I never pushed X farther than those settings...in fact, I avoided X like the plague on that box...it was ugly as heck.

Do you have it running currently, or are you looking at the feasibility of doing it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    400x300? That's a new one. Is it home-brew?

Just Joined!
    I have some spare pc100 RAM...64 megs if ya want it private message me and I'll send it to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    400x300? That's a new one. Is it home-brew?
    400x300 is VESA, iirc... I've been able to use that since programming with SciTech's MGL library way back when in the DOS days... Well, I'm pretty sure, anyway.

Linux Guru
    You don't say? I don't think that I've ever seen it before, and I've done lots of VESA programming in DOS. I kind of miss the DOS days... =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    You don't say? I don't think that I've ever seen it before, and I've done lots of VESA programming in DOS. I kind of miss the DOS days... =)
    It's right there with the rest of those wierd modes nobody hardly ever uses. Like 512x384 (although Unreal Tournament used that one) and 640x350... my X also uses 400x300 (when MPlayer switches modes, for example) without any special modeline tweaking in the config, so it's in the built-in VESA lines, then.
    And yeah, the good old DOS days, where you had to build your own GUI. How I remember them Everything was clean and uncluttered and DOS/4G'd