Find the answer to your Linux question:
In an attempt to set up wireless so I could connect to the university network, which I think I probably should have just downloaded network manager or something but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am not sure what I've done... eth0 wlan0

In an attempt to set up wireless so I could connect to the university network, which I think I probably should have just downloaded network manager or something but I didn't, I tried to put things in /etc/conf.d/net and some other places and I am afraid I'm not sure exactly what (and I have learned my lesson! I will pay attention to what I am doing so I can undo it next time I mess around with stuff!)

Anyway, the long and the short of it is now, when the computer is starting up and its doing the init stuff net.lo doesn't start. Later try and start net.lo or net.eth0 you get told "not enough arguments" and ...that's it.

I wish I could remember what I did so I could undo it, but does anyone have any idea what I might have done?

Just Joined!
    OK nevermind, it all starts up fine once I remove all the wlan0 stuff from /etc/conf.d/net

Although I am back at square one from the point of view of wireless its way better than being at square minus one

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have a look at Wicd. It's way better than networkmanager
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    wireless is relatively easy to setup. If you want to set it up from the command line just info iwconfig and iwlist and that should get you started.