Find the answer to your Linux question:
I get so many different opinions on Linux distributions that I am confused. I have tried both Mandrake9 and Redhat8. I think RedHat is the best out of the two, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat, Suse, Mandrake which is the best?

I get so many different opinions on Linux distributions that I am confused. I have tried both Mandrake9 and Redhat8. I think RedHat is the best out of the two, however trying to get connected to the net using my alcatel modem is another question with RedHat. On Mandrake 9.0 it installed first time.

Which is the best Linux Distribution to use? Or am I already using them. I have heard that suse is meant to be good.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I've used Redhat, SuSe and TurboLinux. I really didn't get anyhing out of TurboLinux because it wouldn't install. Of the other two I like both.

On your hardward issue, hardware is always a dreaded task by most linux users. So sometimes it is which disro has the most current drivers that come with it. Ususlly the newest version has the newest drivers. This is not true for all distro's but for Redhat, Suse and Mandrake (This is what I've heard) it is. I'm sure it's true for some other distro's but I'm not experienced with those.

If you modem is a varitation of the wintel modem, it may not be able to work at all. These modems are designed to run with windows only. Try going to the mfg web site and looking for linux support on the modem. If they support it, you'll see a driver and help for it. If they don't support it you see nothing at all or a note that linux is not supported. Also see the link on the Links page for your distro and see if the hardware is supported.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    At the end of the day, i beleive it comes down to personal choice.

Personally, i am a very big slackware fan, but some people cannot stand it.

I noticed that you connect with BT? There is an Unofficial BT & Linux FAQ, i will dig out the URL for you when i get home.

Jason

Jag's right on the money...which distro of Linux you use is definately a personal opinion, usually made based on the tasks you need to perform or just how much you like using that distro. I've played with RH and I personally think that it's a little bloated (granted you can remedy this if you know what you're doing), but excellent for new Linux users with all the ease of use/install things the good folks @RH put in. I use Gentoo and love it, though broadband is a must for install (if you want the newest packages) and a plus for updating, though my system is maintained over 56K right now.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    here we go, i knew i had it someware:
    http://www.linuxfaq.btinternet.co.uk/#ConnectingADSL

Talks quite a bit about using the Alcatel Modem with Linux, proberly a must for many UK dsl users.

Jason