Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a complete newbie to Linux. I have a Macbook (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1G RAM) and am looking into loading Linux as my primary OS (being able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Macbook help

I am a complete newbie to Linux. I have a Macbook (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1G RAM) and am looking into loading Linux as my primary OS (being able to boot back to OSX IF possible). Like I said, I am a complete newbie so I would need someone to point me in the direction to get step by step instructions and for someone also to tell me which version of Linux to get. I have been using OSX for a couple of years and I am not completely computer stupid but would like some form of Linux that isn't too entirely hard to master.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi eamonster - welcome to Linux Forums.

First know that I am no mac guy, but that shouldn't impact here as i know dual boot can be done with osx.

I would try Ubuntu - just because it is popular and a decent distro. Because of the popularity, you can google tons of dual boot stuff.

If you have played on the command line (cl) a bit in osx you will be more at home with Linux, as the commands are close to the same. If not don't worry about it - you will get your feet wet soon enough.

So step by step:

1. find your distro (i suggest http:://distrowatch.com/ as a good place to start).

2. download the .iso file for the one you want.

3, use your regular media burner but make sure you "burn an image" and burn to cd/dvd.

4. if it's a live distro (Ubuntu is) make sure you computer is set to boot from media and boot with it.

5. if it asks "try or install" choose try the first time to make sure it looks like you want it to.

6. when all is well - if you have network going - google osx dual boot to get the HD partition info (unless someone here knows macs (i am sure someone does...) The idea is to free up some partition space for Linux. Then when you install tell the install to use all free partition space.

This is not meant to be very detailed, as there are a lot of things that can be different from machine to machine, but this should give you a direction.

Good luck, and enjoy Linux!
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Another method which has the advantage of avoiding having to reboot to change from mac to linux and vice versa, is to use a virtual, software computer. Install the linux inside the software computer, mac will not allow you to do it the other way round - boo, hiss. Also you will not have to repartition your hard drive, something which, unjustifiably perhaps, tends to alarm people.

VirtualBox on Mac OS X Hosts (View forum) • virtualbox.org
    Last edited by lugoteehalt; 06-29-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    All power is violence; all power is evil.
    Money As Debt