Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I have a five year old iBook G4 (1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, 1.25 GB RAM, 55 GB Hard Drive) that does a few things quite slowly. I wonder ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Switching to Linux for PowerPC Mac: Advice Needed

Dear all,

I have a five year old iBook G4 (1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, 1.25 GB RAM, 55 GB Hard Drive) that does a few things quite slowly. I wonder if I switch to Linux it would help me to speed up doing these tasks faster: reading images of documents (I regularly have to open 50 to 100 images at a time and read them); multitasking with several applications opened; reading large pdf files; writing on relatively heavy word processors such as Nisus Writer Pro or NeoOffice. I want to particularly emphasize that I really hope Linux can help me read images faster.

My second question is what Linux distributions would you recommend? Thirdly, can you give me step-by-step directions as to how I can partition my hard drive, reinstall the OS X, install the Linux distribution, and put the computer back into an operating condition?

Appreciatively,

Ron

Just Joined!
    Well, I like Debian a lot. That will run on PPC. Other than that, Yellow Dog Linux may be a good choice. Yellow Dog originally was designed for PPC, but I think theyre moving on to GPU clusters now. At any rate, I highly recommend Debian.

I cant give you definitive instructions since I havent used PPC in years, but when booting from the OS X disk, Id hope you have a partitioning option. Leave however much free space for Linux you want. Then, if you install Debian, you can choose to use the free space, and partition automatically. It even calculates the size of all the partitions, so if you want all separate partitions for /, /usr, /home, etc, its easy.

BTW I like Debians Net Install ISO, you only need to burn one disk and have an internet connection, and the rest of what you need is downloaded automatically during the install.

-Chris P

DO PPC systems allow to boot from USB? If so I'd recommend using gparted from a flash drive to do the partitions, then just install the OS's straight instead of messing with partitions at the same time as installing OS's (especially if you have no experience doing this...also, repartitioning can take some time if you're not starting from scratch)

I'd recommend any of the *Buntu systems (Ubuntu, Kubuntu or even Xubuntu). I've played around with a few other distros (actually have run about 10-15 now), and those just seem to be the most usable. Debian is great if you want a solid stable system but it gets outdated fast in my opinion and the developers don't like to add new software updates very fast so at times, you're left with software that is quite a bit older than the "newest out". Ubuntu is stable but includes those updates that have passed their level of scrutiny which is a bit more lenient than Debian developers ( a lot of Ubuntu developers are actually Debian developers as well). Lastly, as long as you don't play around with a lot of betas and alphas (like so many of us do ), you'll find stability in most of the main stream distros.

First thing to do is decide between Gnome, KDE and XFCE I would say....check out the screenshots and youtube them to see which you think you'll like more. Then go from there
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you can find nice info about partitioning method on Gentoo PPC Handbook

Just Joined!
    i like PPC systems , you should try it too .