Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have seen Chrome on Windows machines and it runs relatively fast compared to most browsers...I also know that it's only a beta right now for *nix BUT, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why is Google Chrome So Slow

Hi All,

I have seen Chrome on Windows machines and it runs relatively fast compared to most browsers...I also know that it's only a beta right now for *nix BUT, why in the world is it so slow? I just did a couple tests and the mlb.com time was the most surprising, firefox full load time was about 10.3 seconds BUT "usable" (as in can see the flash scores on the left and the images loaded) was about 4 seconds, for Chrome full load and "usable" load were identical because the things loaded in a horrible order (the scores/pictures came up last!) and that time was about 8.4 seconds. Furthermore, a refresh for both showed firefox at 3.4 seconds and Chrome at 10.5 seconds.....

Just curious
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Google Chrome 5 is in the "stable" channel for linux, so it's out of beta.

I haven't experienced it being slow. It starts far faster than firefox for me and seems more responsive in general. I'm using the 5.0.375.86 release on Arch. Maybe something to do with Ubuntu or the version you're using?

speed is deceptive...

I have been jumping back and forth from Chrome to FF on both doze and Linux and found:

1. The loading speed of Chrome uses an old design trick - Show something asap and people will think you loaded fast. FF doesn't show untill it is almost ready with the page, Chrome puts up a blank window right away... perception is that Chrome is faster.

2. Both browsers have their quirks ... but they are both pretty good.

Unless you are loading mlb.com (or whatever) simultaneously in both browsers the test has no meaning as the site itself may slow down ot speed up in a matter of seconds.

Enjoy ...
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What add-ons you have installed will also affect the perceived performance. The only way to do an apples-to-apples comparison is to install each from scratch and load them side-by-side, preferable on equal, but different, computers, and load the same set of pages a number of times (again, side-by-side) in order to get a smooth curve fit statistically (eliminating temporal anomalies). Perception is a funny thing.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

no add ons for chrome at all, installed the stable version and still see huge lags compared to ff....interesting to say the least
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"