Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
As a newbie, I have just been using distro's that install with a graphical interface, but some of the distro's forum members recommend are installed text mode only. How difficult ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] textmode vs graphical

As a newbie, I have just been using distro's that install with a graphical interface, but some of the distro's forum members recommend are installed text mode only. How difficult is a text mode install, and is it something a newbie should avoid?

Maybe you get finer control (more options) in text-mode.
    It is also more fail safe, given that it is easier to write text than displaying graphics.

Provided they are able to read, I don't see why text-based interfaces should be avoided by newbies.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Test Mode installation uses Text Based interface and it is not difficult at all.
    Sometimes LiveCDs/Graphical Installers do not configure a few Graphics Cards correctly and it is difficult to install distro in those cases.
    Text based installer sort out installation problem because it uses minimal Graphics and works fine with all Graphics Cards.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    As a newbie, I have just been using distro's that install with a graphical interface, but some of the distro's forum members recommend are installed text mode only. How difficult is a text mode install, and is it something a newbie should avoid?
    Difficulty depends on your comfort level with Linux and the distribution you choose. An install of Arch or Gentoo can be quite difficult, and incredibly time-consuming if you've never done it before.

A text install of Debian (say, using the net-install image) is pretty straightforward and quick. Same for Slackware, though I think these days it installs a graphical interface by default.

What do you want to do with your computer? Why are you particularly interested in a text-only OS? Or are you simply worried about the installer itself being in text mode but still want a GUI (such as Slackware)?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    How difficult is a text mode install, and is it something a newbie should avoid?
    Most text installs are still menu-driven, but the level of complexity can vary and some might be considered overly difficult for new users. On the other hand, plenty of new users have tackled them with success, even if it did take more than one attempt.
    oz

solved

I see that I misunderstood. I thought text mode was like entering command line instructions, so I avoided those distros. Thank you for your explanation.

I see that I misunderstood. I thought text mode was like entering command line instructions, so I avoided those distros.
    Gentoo and OpenBSD are examples where this is the case. But once you are through, you can put your newbie status in the box labeled "old memories".
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

oz
    forum.guy
    I see that I misunderstood. I thought text mode was like entering command line instructions, so I avoided those distros. Thank you for your explanation.
    On those distros that are considered really hard to install, it's always best to print out the handbook or installation instructions so that you can refer to them as you go along. Even then, certain distros will take some users more than one attempt to get them installed properly, and running.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU-Fan View Post
    Gentoo and OpenBSD are examples where this is the case. But once you are through, you can put your newbie status in the box labeled "old memories".
    Alas this is hardly true in my case

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgirl View Post
    Alas this is hardly true in my case
    Well, in this forum it goes by the number of posts, not by whether you can install Gentoo or not (and btw coffee lounge posts don't count). I was a member for about two years before they promoted me from "just joined" to "newbie" and I wasn't very pleased as you can imagine!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast