Find the answer to your Linux question:
I 'installed' Fedora12 nine days ago. Everything went smoothly until I booted-up today when I got a message in the top right corner of the desktop saying "WARNING, A CRASH ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    JTH
    Just Joined!

Question Starting File Manager

I 'installed' Fedora12 nine days ago. Everything went smoothly until I booted-up today when I got a message in the top right corner of the desktop saying
    "WARNING, A CRASH PACKAGE NAUTILUS - 2.28.1 - 2 FC12 HAS BEEN DETECTED."
    All my icons have disappeared from the desktop
    In the tool bar I have a continuous row of moving identical icons for "Starting File Manager".
    Can anyone help please.
    jth
    Last edited by JTH; 07-10-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: New information

Linux Guru
    I 'installed' Fedora12 nine days ago. Everything went smoothly until I booted-up today
    Clarification on the above statement. Does that mean you installed Fedora nine days ago and haven't rebooted at all since? Or have you been successfully using it since then? Have you done any updates?

JTH
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Clarification on the above statement. Does that mean you installed Fedora nine days ago and haven't rebooted at all since? Or have you been successfully using it since then? Have you done any updates?
    I have been using it successfully until this problem cropped up. Yes I have been downloading numerous updates, eg 'security' and 'bugs' .

JTH
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    I have been using it successfully until this problem cropped up. Yes I have been downloading numerous updates, eg 'security' and 'bugs' .
    Further information:
    In the top bar the Application & System are working OK, but the PLACES does not. When I click on it, the drop down box opens for less than a second and then closes.
    I tried to REINSTALL fc12, with the intention of getting back to the original settings, I then realised my dvd player was not working. This did work after the initial installation.
    Is there any way that I can format the hard disc without using a cd or dvd. ? If there si it could solve the problem.
    Kind regards
    [U]PROBLEM SOLVED AND HOW[/U]
    After the initial installation of fc12 I received notification of 581 updates. I did start to download these, but thought it would be better to do a few at a time. That is where I made a big mistake. The first few that I downloaded caused the problem. I spoke to my son about this and he suggested downloading the remaining 381 as the cure might be in one of those which proved to be the case.
    The moral of this is appears to be "Don't mess about with downloads, install ALL or NONE".
    Thank you for offering your help
    Kind regards.
    Last edited by JTH; 07-14-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Resolved