Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If I wanted to move on to a later version of CentOS, once the RHEL6 ripples through, will it be simple task to convert the file system from ext3 to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

If I wanted to move on to a later version of CentOS, once the RHEL6 ripples through, will it be simple task to convert the file system from ext3 to ext4 ?

As I am new to this all, can you 'upgrade' the OS from one version to the next or does that require a reinstall ?

Siggy

Quote Originally Posted by QF006 View Post
    If I wanted to move on to a later version of CentOS, once the RHEL6 ripples through, will it be simple task to convert the file system from ext3 to ext4 ?

As I am new to this all, can you 'upgrade' the OS from one version to the next or does that require a reinstall ?

Siggy
    You can, but the recommended way to go is to do a clean install. Making sure you have no left over cruft from the previous installation.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by QF006 View Post

Siggy
    You really wouldn't need to upgrade unless you had a reason. Most desktop and server uses won't see that big of a benefit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Other than faster fsck. ext4 provides faster deletion for large files since it stores file contents in extent format. Few other enhancements might not be applicable for desktop users.
    Yes, I realize that but I was pointing to the only benefits that I've actually observed from using ext4. I've deleted quite a number of large files with it and don't notice any speed advantage even if it is faster, but perhaps the files weren't big enough to notice. I won't bother with trying to time any file deletions, but the quicker filesystem checks were instantly noticeable with no effort on my part.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2