Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been having problems with apt-get lately. It can't seem to connect to the websites listed in source.list and apparently I'm inept and cannot change it via the terminal. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apt-Get problems

I've been having problems with apt-get lately. It can't seem to connect to the websites listed in source.list and apparently I'm inept and cannot change it via the terminal. I decided to forget apt-get entirely and use Synaptic, as I heard it was more user friendly, however I cannot even sudo dpkg -i it because of apparent dependency issues. When I try to run apt-get to fix said issues, it simply says it cannot. When I try to run apt-get -f install it just wants to get rid of synaptic entirely. I'm sure that changing the source.list will fix everything, and I've found it in my /etc/apt/sources folder, but can't seem to actually get there via the terminal. Whenever I try I end up at User~# unable to get in to my system files. If some one could give me a push in the right direction, I'm sure I can probably figure out the rest.

Linux Newbie
    It's not clear exactly which sort of message you're receiving when you're trying to edit sources.list.

If there's nothing fundamentally wrong with your system, you should be able to do that by doing the following:

1 - opening some terminal window

2 - logging as super user with su <enter>, then giving the root/administrative password

3 - nano /etc/apt/sources.list

(if you use ubuntu, not debian, "sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list" is a one-step replacement for the last two steps)

Alternatively, going to "command launcher" (alt+f2 in many systems, but also elsewhere on some menus) and typing "gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list" (if you have mostly gnome) or "kdesudo kedit /etc/apt/sources.list" (if you use kde) from there, which will ask for the root password (gksu) or for your password (kdesudo, in which case it may only work if you have permission to use kdesudo to edit that file with kedit), and open sources.list on a graphical text editor.

But I don't know. I can't figure what's happening exactly, and I suspect it may not be some easy change on sources.list, unless you've made some change on that file recently, and since then, had been having this exact problem. If that's not how it started, it may be helpful to copy and paste the error messages you're receiving here.

Or yet, you can google for specific, informative parts of them between commas (which will look for the exact phrase, not just the terms in any order). They have to be generic enough tough, if there's something like your username and you google for it in a phrase, it's likely that you won't find any result, unless someone with the same username published about the same issue on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinske View Post
    I've been having problems with apt-get lately. It can't seem to connect to the websites listed in source.list and apparently I'm inept and cannot change it via the terminal. I decided to forget apt-get entirely and use Synaptic, as I heard it was more user friendly, however I cannot even sudo dpkg -i it because of apparent dependency issues. When I try to run apt-get to fix said issues, it simply says it cannot. When I try to run apt-get -f install it just wants to get rid of synaptic entirely. I'm sure that changing the source.list will fix everything, and I've found it in my /etc/apt/sources folder, but can't seem to actually get there via the terminal. Whenever I try I end up at User~# unable to get in to my system files. If some one could give me a push in the right direction, I'm sure I can probably figure out the rest.
    Hello Pinske!

Have you tried:

su -
    password
    apt-get update
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Thanks!
    Last edited by nujinini; 07-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close