Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear friends, I need help! I searched and didn't find the answer. I'm new to linux and wanted to surf it. So, I installed Scientific Linux 5.0 distro on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to remove linux and re-istall windows 7

Dear friends,
    I need help! I searched and didn't find the answer.
    I'm new to linux and wanted to surf it. So, I installed Scientific Linux 5.0 distro on my notebook, Dell 1558 (2.27 core i5, 4G RAM, 500G HDD, 512M ATI, win7).
    Unfortunately, I didn't backup my data on partiotions D, E, ... . Now, I can't re-install windows 7 because it couldn't detect proper partition!
    Is there any way to remove linux and re-install windows 7 (or have both on the same hard disk) so that I can access to my data on partitions D, E, ... ?
    By the way, I used "partition Wizard Home Edition v5.0" to re-format the partitions, but there were just disabled options. The hard dist became "Dynamic Disk", so I couldn't do any operation. Is there any solution to convert dynamic hard to static one and don't lost it's data?
    I appreciate your answers.

Regards,
    Hooshang.

Linux Guru
    You don't "remove" operating systems you just install over them.
    Can you now boot into Scientific Linux? If you can, open a terminal and log in as root with command "su -" (without quotes), enter your password and then enter command: fdisk -l (lower case Letter L) and post the output here. This will tell us your partition information.

It's difficult to advise you not having this information as it is not possible to know what partitions you have and what filesystems and whether you wrote over your previous installation. Windows installers have difficulty when non-windows info is in the mbr which is the basis of your problem. When you are trying to set up a dual-boot, you need to select Advanced or Expert for the installation method so you can decide where to install so you do not overwrite your data.

By the way, I used "partition Wizard Home Edition v5.0
    What is that? A windows program? Third party software?

Post the partition output, that would be a good place to start.

Just Joined!

fdisk information

Dear friend,
    At the first, I appreciate your effort to solve my problem.
    I wrote the fdisk -l and the following was shown:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 13 103392+ 42 SFS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 * 14 10356 83080147+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 10357 60802 405200920 42 SFS

Again, thanks a lot.

Regards,
    Hooshang

Linux Guru
    [
    Is there any solution to convert dynamic hard to static one and don't lost it's data?
    I would suggest you read whatever documentation you have on your partitioning software or go to their website to determine how to change from Dynamic Disk. Not familiar with SFS as a partition type or filesystem. You could check this thread or google:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ilesystem.html