Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I have a slight problem with my CD writer and my USB flash card reader. For about 3 days, I didn't boot my PC with Linux. Now that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CDROM Manual Mounting Help

Hi all.

I have a slight problem with my CD writer and my USB flash card reader. For about 3 days, I didn't boot my PC with Linux. Now that I did, my CD writer and USB flash card reader have totally disappeared from the list of mountable drives.

Upon boot up, I am certain that my CD writer is detected (SONY blah blah comes up), however, there is one particular line where it says FAILED -- it runs fast, all I can remember is that a file /dev/cdrom1 does not exist. (I couldn't have deleted anything....)

Here's my setup:
    /mnt/fd0 floppy
    /mnt/cdrom IDE CD reader ("cdrom" block device link in /dev points to /dev/hdc)
    /mnt/cdrom1 IDE CD writer (disappeared -- i suppose this should be hdd?)
    /mnt/flash USB Flash reader (disappeared -- what's this supposed to be?)
    Linux is installed in hdb

I have read some stuff regarding recreating soft links, but would rather consult first before proceeding. My /dev folder does not contain a cdrom1 file, though the block link cdrom does exist (see above), as well as a character device link named "cdwriter" that points to /dev/sg0.

Needless to say, I am totally clueless. The only thing I did that could have affected my CD writer in any way was installing the latest version of Nero (5.5.10.28 or so) in my Windows XP partition (hda). But any connection would seem outrageous.

Linux User
    I had a simillar problem but the situation was different

i say just recreate the soft link

with
    ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom1

thats the only thing i can say to do

Linux Guru
    The CD Writer is probably SCSI emulated. In that case it is /dev/scd0, not /dev/hdd. Also check your /etc/fstab to see that those entries aren't deleted as well.
    Also, how to fix the Flash card reader depends on what driver it uses. If it uses the normal USB Mass Storage driver, it is probably bound to /dev/sda or /dev/sda1, depending on whether the flash cards have a partition table or not.
    The reason for this is probably that it couldn't be detected some time for whatever reason. Kudzu automagically removes all those things for you in that case. The strange thing is that it doesn't seem to recreate them later if they come back. Oh well.
    Try these:
    Code:
    ln -s scd0 /dev/cdrom1
    ln -s sda /dev/flash
    Then check your fstab as well. And like I said, if the flash cards use a partition table, you'll have to use sda1 instead of sda. Check if they have a partition table with "fdisk -l /dev/sda".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for the quick replies, bignester and dolda.

I fixed the problem

The after-action report:
    ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom1 apparently didn't do anything. Logging out and rebooting didn't help either. My fstab at this point looked something like:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb3 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

I have NO idea why there were two exactly identical cdrom1 lines in the bottom.

I then tried both of dolda's commands. Moreover, I removed the last line in fstab (didn't feel too happy with having a redundant line there).

Now I seem to have generated a "fstab REVOKE" file in the /etc folder. I didn't quite catch if this was generated when I replaced fstab via kwrite, or if it was created after rebooting.

Logging out didn't do anything either, so I rebooted. After my second reboot, both devices -- USB flash reader and CD writer -- appeared and were usable. Dolda hit the nail right on the head.

It appears that removing the duplicate "cdrom1" line in fstab didn't do anything bad to my system.....so.........I'm not touching fstab to put it back in.

Linux Guru
    You seem to be afraid of touching your fstab. Don't be. It's made to be touched and maintained by the system administrator (which in this case, of course, is you). It's not some obscure, secret system file like the Windows registry that you must not touch. The same goes for virtually all of the base config files in a UNIX system.
    If you're dubious about its purpose and/or syntax, just check fstab(5). The actual existance of a manpage for it just continues to prove that you're supposed to edit it, right?
    And yes, you should have removed that duplicate line.