Find the answer to your Linux question:
New to server installation, so please bare with me I began by first installing Unbuntu Server (this was yesterday evening). After configuring and reconfiguring and reinstallation, I finally got it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

having problems connecting to my server (Debian installed)

New to server installation, so please bare with me

I began by first installing Unbuntu Server (this was yesterday evening). After configuring and reconfiguring and reinstallation, I finally got it installed the way I wanted, so I thought! Today, I decided to give Debian a try. Read many posts concerning its stability, etc. D/L and installed. No problem, so I thought!!!

First I was met with permission denied error when trying to perform a simple 'cp' command. Jumped back to the forum and searched .. found a solution... type 'su -' and enter password.... that worked perfectly!!!

I type some things in the smb.conf file (according to other instructions) then return to my XP machine to try connecting again. NOT HAPPENING!!!

I know this isn't exactly 'rocket scientist' stuff, but WTH is going on? When the login screen appears in XP, I provide the proper credentials and still can't connect!! Also, how can I grant myself permissions other than using 'su -'?

Trying to build a simple file server for home use. Nothing fancy, but honestly, I've installed Novell servers much simpler than this. This is driving me to drink!!!! (water... HA!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frustrated Newbie

I know this isn't exactly 'rocket scientist' stuff, but WTH is going on? When the login screen appears in XP, I provide the proper credentials and still can't connect!! Also, how can I grant myself permissions other than using 'su -'?
    su - logs you in as root to the root environment. By default, user's other than root in Debian do not have admin privileges. You can install and setup sudo to give your user administrative abilities.

What other instructions are you following for smb.conf?

File Server Configuration in Debian Using Samba -- Debian Admin

Just Joined!
    reed9,

Thanks for the response! The link you provided explain things very well. There were subtle differences in the Samba setup during the Debian installation (most recent version), but understandable nonetheless.

My wife is the only other user (besides me) that will be connecting to my server. I figured once I configured/connected on of my several machines, I would do the same to the rest of them. I am the only one in need of admin rights.

I will tackle this issue after I arrive home this evening. I've already read some things I missed/haven't done.

Thanks again,

Hopefull Newbie (upgraded from Frustrated Newbie )