Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm still pretty new to Linux so I figured I'd start out asking here. I am currently booting 4 flavors of Linux - Ubuntu 10.04, Xubuntu 10.04, Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] help adding Fedora 13 to a multi-boot setup?

Hi there,
    I'm still pretty new to Linux so I figured I'd start out asking here. I am currently booting 4 flavors of Linux - Ubuntu 10.04, Xubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 9 KDE RC and Linux Mint 9 Gnome. There is so little difference between Ubuntu Gnome with the right packages installed and Linux Mint 9 it is redundant and I would like to replace it with Fedora 13 and try that out for a while. I understand that Fedora still uses a legacy Grub while the others are all using Grub2. I also understand that the two bootloaders do not get along. Is there a way to do that? How? If I have Fedora install its legacy Grub to the Fedora partition will Grub2 see Fedora and update itself properly? I'm open to starting clean if that would simplify things. I would be grateful for any help, thanks.

Hello spazdaddy!

Even before grub2 came up, Fedora is not set at default to read other linux OS.

So perhaps you can install your new Fedora over MInt and then update your Grub2 settings. It will be able to read Fedora partition along with the others.

Hope this helps .
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just install Fedora over existing partition of Mint. It will install it own boot loader, GRUB Legacy.
    Boot up from LiveCD of Ubuntu and re-install its GRUB2. GRUB2 will detect Fedora and setup multiboot automatically.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thumbs up

Thank you very much nujinini and DC. I think I have my strategy laid out in agreement with what you both have said. I found a nice little detailed step by step for a Grub2/Grub chain load here also: Linux Mint Forums • View topic - Get PCLinuxOS 2010 To Boot With GRUB2 Controlling GRUB
    ...sounds like fun!

Talking

Just to let you know. Fedora is up and booting happily with the Grub2 OS's. The entire procedure including the install took about 15-20 mins. Thanks again, all the best!