Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've just installed Archlinux, with xfce and compiz. I downloaded this theme Code: h ttp://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ambiance+Refined+II?content=126580 The theme is correctly installed, but when I run Settings->Appearance, I see no change ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XFCE+Compiz : Installing GTK theme (murrine engine) problem

Hello,

I've just installed Archlinux, with xfce and compiz. I downloaded this theme
    Code:
    h ttp://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ambiance+Refined+II?content=126580
    The theme is correctly installed, but when I run Settings->Appearance, I see no change at all. So I tried to run in terminal, and here's what I get:
    Code:
    /home/amaury/.themes/AmbianceRefinedII/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:110: error: unexpected identifier `arrowstyle', expected character `}'
    Here's the gtkrc file:
    Code:
    h ttp://pastebin.com/bcKt4kKL
    It's in the murrine engine section (line 110), so I guess the problem comes from here. I have murrine engine (gtk-engine-murrine-0.90.3-2) installed. Any ideas how to fix this?

PS: I get a message "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more." on this forum, so in the two links above, careful there's a space between the "h" and the double "t" in http.

The theme it's based on requires the latest git version of the murrine engine, so I would wager this does too. You can install it from the AUR.

Just Joined!
    Hello reed9,

I installed the git version as you told, no more errors when I choose the Ambiance theme, thanks for that.

But I still don't have the same gtk appearance as displayed on gnome-look. Here's a screenshot of my desktop:
    h ttp://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4519/201007201924251440x900s.png

Have I missed something ?

I'm not sure why the menu backgrounds aren't dark, but if you're referring to the window buttons and borders, that's a function of the window manager. In GNOME it's metacity, in XFCE it's xfwm. Xfwm themes are selected in Menu->Settings->Window Manager, I believe.

But...you're using compiz, which is also a window manager and replaces xfwm. I haven't used compiz for ages, so I'm not sure on that. Do you have compiz-decorator-gtk installed?

Just Joined!
    I'm talking about the menu background, the scrollbars, the buttons etc. I don't have compiz-decorator-gtk, I use emerald. I've just tried installing it, but no changes (and it's normal, no? compiz-decorator-gtk is metacity, so changes only the window borders), I uninstalled it now.

Just Joined!
    No ideas no-one?
    I've tried with other themes, they all seem not to work. Weird, no?

Edit: Hey it works now! I've just installed gtk2_prefs and it works like a charm. Weird... but at least it's solved.