Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a little problem i do rsync for backing up files. Here is my rsync command rsync -r -u --delete --ignore-existing --exclude-from=/root/excludes-v -v --progress --compress /mnt/* /backup1/server1/ this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rsync problem

Hello,

I have a little problem i do rsync for backing up files.
    Here is my rsync command

rsync -r -u --delete --ignore-existing --exclude-from=/root/excludes-v -v --progress --compress /mnt/* /backup1/server1/

this backs up fine if i am doing a full backup. THough i started to notice after i did an incemental backup, the files where not updating.

Example: if i have a jason.txt that is 1MB and then its backed up a few days later jason.txt then grows to 4MB with some new info. When i run the backup again (rsync command) the 1MB will just still be in the backup. It will not compare file size. My questions is if i use the -u (update) shouldn't it update that file or do i need to use the --size-only ?
    basically making the command look like

rsync -r --size-only --delete --ignore-existing --exclude-from=/root/excludes-v -v --progress --compress /mnt/* /backup1/server1/

Any help would be great! :o

Linux User
    hi

sorry for the late reply...but I just joined the forum...
    the following command backs up my filesystem just fine , mebbe you can try it and let me know the results

/usr/bin/rsync --size-only -az -l --delete --progress --force -v \
    --timeout=600 --exclude-from=<exclude file>

Thanks,
    Nik