Find the answer to your Linux question:
So i am new to the Linux world and I am not sure if what I am trying to do is achievable or not. I am trying to make an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating image of hard disk

So i am new to the Linux world and I am not sure if what I am trying to do is achievable or not. I am trying to make an image of my existing drives running Linux on a USB and I want to use the same image off the USB to clone more bootable hard drives. Something like what Ghost does in windows. The problem is using 'dd' the image is too big ( I have 1tb drives ) and then I am not sure how to convert these images back on to new drives so that they boot in the OS as well. i am not sure if there is a utility that would let you do that? Any help would be great...thanks a ton

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Check out Clonezilla, FSArchiver, Ghost4Linux, PartClone, and PartImage to see if any of them will serve your needs. I'm currently using FSArchiver and it's working quite well for me. I personally prefer to use any cloning tool from liveCD whenever possible.
    oz

I have had success using clonezilla to do this, the images are fairly small as they get compressed and only copies the actual data

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close