Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Damn Small Linux using unetbootin. Booting Linux from unetbootin seems a lot like booting from a liveCD, so I'd like to mount my hard drive and see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help mounting the hard drive from unetbootin.

I recently installed Damn Small Linux using unetbootin. Booting Linux from unetbootin seems a lot like booting from a liveCD, so I'd like to mount my hard drive and see what I can do. Unfortunately it looks like Damn Small Linux has not mounted it automatically, and I'm having trouble finding my drive and mounting it from the /dev directory. There are several devices named /dev/*da* and I don't know which is my hard drive. My computer is an HP Mini netbook, so the drive is probably one of the new "solid state" drives if that affects anything.

What can I do to find and mount my hard drive from unetbootin?

Linux Guru
    Boot Damn Small Linux, log in as root user, run this command: fdisk -l (Lower case Letter L in the command) and post the output. This will show us your partition information.

With the information above, someone should be able to explain the next step. The most common method of mounting is to create a mount point (just a directory) in /media or /mnt directory then use the mount command to make it accessible.

It would probably help if you told us what you wanted to mount and what other systems you have.

Reading over your post, I'm really not sure this is what you want??

Just Joined!
    Thanks for helping me, even though I've been unclear.

I need to mount my main hard drive.

I'm using Windows 7 to access the internet at the moment. I have booted Damn Small Linux via unetbootin and I wish to gain access to the hard drive from that OS.

Code:
    sudo su
    fdisk -l
    is returning no output at all.

Just Joined!
    Well I'm not linux pro... newsbie myself but I have played wiht DSLinux. Have you tried this?

with DSLinux booted and running right click on the home icon at the top left of the screen. You should get a pop out with a mount option and a list of drives. You shoul d see the HD there. Just click it and your HD should be mounted.

Hope this helps

Ron