Find the answer to your Linux question:
So what is the difference between these sub versions of linux? I'm working with Debian and Mint currently and I think it's the GNOME sub version. If sub version is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] linux sub-versions? or what? KDE v Xfce v LXDE???

So what is the difference between these sub versions of linux? I'm working with Debian and Mint currently and I think it's the GNOME sub version. If sub version is the right term even,

Thanks

Ron

oz
    forum.guy
    Gnome, KDE, Xfce, and LXDE are all desktop environments. You can read more about DEs and WMs here:

Window Managers for X

Wikipedia has quite a bit of information on each of them as well.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Gnome, KDE, Xfce, and LXDE are all desktop environments. You can read more about DEs and WMs here:

Wikipedia has quite a bit of information on each of them as well.
    Ok thanks. Looked at the link. So further into this... These are front end appearances of how linux looks to the end user is what it seems like to me. Is this right?

So no matter what "Front end" you're using the basic (core) Linux OS is still the same? At least within the same family ie:mint, ubuntu, debian...

And, (or) maybe this should be a new topic... Is there a difference within different families such as Mint, Debian, Ubuntu.... By where you can't run some linux programs between different families unless you install a specific version for that linux family? (other than the difference in the way they handle packages 'RPM, DEB, Tar, etc')

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by photofinishron View Post
    So no matter what "Front end" you're using the basic (core) Linux OS is still the same? At least within the same family ie:mint, ubuntu, debian...
    That would be true up to a point, but each distro might have their own changes, tweaks, and patches in place making them different from other distributions, and of course each release of each distro is different from their previous releases. The desktop environment is basically the GUI user's interface to the inner workings of the system. However, the developers for many distributions choose to customize the desktop environment as well, giving them a look of their own. On the other hand, some distros such as Arch provide a generic desktop environment, which is what I personally prefer.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info oz.