Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have a question. I have 2 desktops, 1 windows 7, and the other is Fedora 13. I also have a NAS installed on the network. In windows, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to access my NAS other than through FTP?

Hi guys, I have a question.

I have 2 desktops, 1 windows 7, and the other is Fedora 13. I also have a NAS installed on the network.

In windows, I had it setup so I could simply point to //nas/folder/file.txt and it would work fine. My NAS's hostname is "NAS".

How can I do this on Linux? I can see the files if I want to go through the NAS's FTP service, and I also tried mounting it as an NFS resource which works too (sort of).

Whenever I mount it in a folder (/mnt/nas) for example, I cannot access the directories unless I'm root. What's the point of that? I need full access to my NAS contents.. is there anything I'm missing? Do I have to mount it each time I start fedora?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

The permissions assigned to the mounted share are dictated at mount time. How was the SMB/CIFS (or was it NFS? you didn't spcify) share mounted?
    If it is not presently being mounted at boot time, you can fix that by adding an entry to /etc/fstab. There are numerous options that apply to mounting any filesystem. Consult the manpages for details.

man mount
    man mount.smb
    man mount.cifs
    man mount.nfs

--- rod.
    Stuff happens. Then stays happened.

OP did specify that OP tried to access via NFS with not much success

that being said, probably the most reliable method is via samba, you will need to install samba client packages on fedora

you can mount with a command like mount -t cifs //nas/folder /mnt/nas though you might need more if you have security like username/password on it, so you would want to add the -o options, like -o username=Guest,password= etc

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Just a nag, but I can't understand why people who are fairly new to Linux choose a distro like Fedora.

But to answer your question, setting up network connections manually is a pain. Why not use smb4k and "bookmark" your NAS? It has a GUI interface that lets you enter the connection with the Host name, share name, user name and password and save it as a "bookmark."