Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am a newbie. I might consider myself as I haven't used Linux in a while. I plan on loading soley Linux on my Dell Inspiron 1545 within ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux on Dell Inspiron

Hi all,
    I am a newbie. I might consider myself as I haven't used Linux in a while. I plan on loading soley Linux on my Dell Inspiron 1545 within a year or two which is currently pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (works like a charm, never has failed me yet). I honestly do not store much personal files on my laptop and I am thinking of using a hard disk wiping software for this job (Recommend any good free ones?). What should I expect and what should I do to ensure that the software I use to wipe my drive with won't damage my laptop?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

You won't need to wipe the drive before installing Linux. You can simply direct the Linux installer to use the entire drive, or just the partition that currently has Windows on it. The installer should be able to handle the rest. That said, it's not a bad idea to make a good backup image of your current system just in case you should ever want to restore it in the future.

You can check the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux.

Best of luck to you with all of it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

You won't need to wipe the drive before installing Linux. You can simply direct the Linux installer to use the entire drive, or just the partition that currently has Windows on it. The installer should be able to handle the rest. That said, it's not a bad idea to make a good backup image of your current system just in case you should ever want to restore it in the future.

You can check the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux.

Best of luck to you with all of it.
    I just want to use a hard drive eraser software to make it fresh clean.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    The Secure Erase option found on the Parted Magic LiveCD should do the job nicely, and the disk is very handy to have on hand for all the other utilities that come with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I am just afraid that not all my hardware (webcam, etc.) would work with it.

Try Ubuntu LiveCD, latest version and check if it detects/configures everything correctly.

I won't suggest you to wipe HD and install Linux. You can install Linux and Windows OS in single HD and will have choice to boot up any OS. Use Linux for a few months and be familiar with it. You can remove Windows OS any time in future.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    I am just afraid that not all my hardware (webcam, etc.) would work with it.
    Certification notes
    10.04 LTS
    Proprietary drivers required:
    Installation of proprietary drivers is required for WiFi functionality.
    Dell Inspiron 1545 | Ubuntu

For installing the proprietary wireless driver mentioned in above link
    Ubuntu on the Dell Mini: Broadcom Wireless Driver Fix In Karmic