Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I am a kind of newbie on Linux. However, i managed to install and configure Axigen mail server on a debian Linux server. Axigen is very good. However, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Email Server

Hi guys,

I am a kind of newbie on Linux. However, i managed to install and configure Axigen mail server on a debian Linux server. Axigen is very good. However, my only problem is that the Outlook connector of Axigenis very slow and i have problems when using Outlook instead of web mail.

I was wondering if you know any good server that can be installed on Linux that will have all the MS Exchange server features, will be open source and NOT so expensive like exchange.

Thanks for your help.

ca336

Just Joined!
    if you are using other mail clients, then install pop/imap servers for fetching the mails, and sendmail/qmail for smtp.

these work with any mail client plus you can also have any web mail working with these.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your help.

Note that am looking for a mail server that will be able to serve many clients. Currently i have about 20 mailboxes and am planning to go up-to 300.

However, the functionality am looking for is Calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Email but i need to have all of the information centralized in order to be able to view ALL the emails, calendar, tasks and contacts from a mobile device, web based and MS Outlook. With Exchange server functionality this is what i mean.

Thats why POP cannot do the trick since is only for email and is difficult to keep all the emails on the server since is downloading only the enw email everythime you log in.

I will have a look to all the apps you reccomended and i will appreciate if you have anything else in mind, let me know.

Thanks.

ca336

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You might want to take a look at some of these:

- Dovecot for IMAP mail - with IMAP the mail sits on the server
    - Squirrelmail can provide a web front end to your email server
    - 389 Directory Server - an LDAP directory with a simple-ish Java-based user interface.

You can use your directory server to store contacts and perhaps look for a CalDav solution that can store your calendars in the LDAP too.

I run all these on my servers, but I don't use caldav. You're better off installing any of these from your distribution's package manager rather than downloading from the sites I've linked to.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    you can try for horde, php groupware