Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Just wondering how long installation should take for linux. I have an old pentium II laptop with 3.3GB hard drive and 256 ram. I'm guessing that ubuntu is to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how long should installation take

Hello
    Just wondering how long installation should take for linux. I have an old pentium II laptop with 3.3GB hard drive and 256 ram. I'm guessing that ubuntu is to big for it and I've tried kubuntu and xubuntu but kept getting I/O errors during installation. I also tried Knoppix. It goes through all the installation properly and than I get a blank screen, and it does nothing. Went on for about an hour before I gave up. (I assumed the comp. was still doing something cause the light was goin, but it wasn't reading the disk anymore) This laptop is about 8 years old. I just want to use it for watching videos online and facebook games.lol. Is there another distro I should be using. Just not that familiar with installing operating systems. and wondering if it would take a couple of hours on my machine?
    thanx
    nadtribble

Generally, you should be done in 30 minutes to one hour, it depends on the machine, which distro you are installing and a few other factors.
    Take a peek at this link for older hardware. You'll do okay with that machine with the right distro.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2010-a.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    What processor do you have, 1Ghz is the minimum recommended for Ubuntu and I expect Kubuntu and Xubuntu would be the same/similar. Also, 1GB RAM is recommended. See the link for Ubuntu HW requirements:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

I'd suggest using a smaller OS. You can go to distrowatch to start checking for smaller Linux distros or just google it.

Just Joined!
    so from your link miketbob, I decided to go with crux 2.6 linux, however everything goes well untill i get to a login and password. what do i put in?

Linux User
    I just installed AntiX 8.5-486 on a Compaq Armada with a PIII and 128 M ram. I would recommend it for your laptop.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Linux User
    Put in a username and a password that is fairly complex, but reasonably easy to remember.

Just Joined!
    its acting like the login and password are already set and i don't know how to change it

Linux User
    If you are running from a Live CD they are already set. The home website should tell you what they are. You will be able to set your own on installation.

don't get your hopes up on watching video with the p2, you might be OK with SD quality stuff

Quote Originally Posted by nadtribble View Post
    its acting like the login and password are already set and i don't know how to change it
    Log in as root. As far as I can remember (I'm a Crux user too but it's a good while since I installed), there is no root password during installation so you can just press return.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com