Find the answer to your Linux question:
Or whatever it would be called. How do I set something up, where on startup I could switch between Windows 7 and Ubuntu, if I have each installed on separate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot-Loader?

Or whatever it would be called.

How do I set something up, where on startup I could switch between Windows 7 and Ubuntu, if I have each installed on separate partitions?

oz
    forum.guy
    The Ubuntu folks have posted a really nice article explaining how the GRUB2 bootloader is to be installed and configured:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Another nice tutorial can be found here:

GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial

If you should run into problems, post back with the details.
    oz

How do I set something up, where on startup I could switch between Windows 7 and Ubuntu, if I have each installed on separate partitions?
    You don' t have to setup anything. Ubuntu installer will detect Windows OS and setup up dual boot.

A menu will appear at startup having list installed OSes. You can select and boot any OS easily. You can change boot order, waiting time ( time out ) easily.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    You don' t have to setup anything. Ubuntu installer will detect Windows OS and setup up dual boot.

A menu will appear at startup having list installed OSes. You can select and boot any OS easily. You can change boot order, waiting time ( time out ) easily.
    I was just about to ask about that.

Thanks, both of you.

Would I encounter any problems, like if I need to boot from a CD or install updates, specifically to Windows 7? Or will it start up the OS just as if it started by default?

Boot loader doesn't track OS condition. Linux Boot Loader, GRUB boot up Linux OS itself but for Windows OSes it uses chainloading.
    In other words, GRUB calls Windows Boot Loader to boot Windows OS. It doesn't deal with Windows OSes directly. Don't worry about updates/reboots of Windows 7. It will work fine. Windows 7 won't even know that if there is any other Boot Loader/OS has been installed in same/other Hard disk.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First