Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is a humbling experience for a long time MS admin/tech... I am wanting to build a file server fr my home network. So, I downloaded and installed FreeBSD 8.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Real Error or ID10T error?

This is a humbling experience for a long time MS admin/tech...

I am wanting to build a file server fr my home network. So, I downloaded and installed FreeBSD 8.1 last night.

Wanting a more familiar interface, I downloaded and tried to install KDE. It loads and asks for language. Then I select "Install kubuntu".

The kubuntu logo and a progress meter pop up for a while.

Eventually the screen goes black and nothing else happens. I have to reboot. If I take the CD out it boots to FreeBSD.

Am I missing something? Kubuntu never asks anything regarding partitioning.

Is FreeBSD an os like DOS and kubuntu a GUI like Win 3.1 or is kubuntu more like XP with a GUI built in to the os?

If it is the latter, how do I get it to kill the FreeBSD install?

"Try kubuntu without installing" does the same thing.

Not being a BSD user. When I run into a Problem like loading a Linux Live session like Kububtu (I don't run kDE either). I look for some boot cheat codes first.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Try the Safe graphics option at the boot screen first. Above Link expains it.

To completely get rid of any partitions on drives or wipe a drive completely.
    I use Parted Magic . You can boot it also as a live cd also.

If successful booting into a Try Kubuntu without installing, You can use Gparted in kubuntu to delete the BSD partition also.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 08-22-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Is FreeBSD an os like DOS and kubuntu a GUI like Win 3.1 or is kubuntu more like XP with a GUI built in to the os?
    Now, this is a big mess. FreeBSD is not Linux, it is pretty much the UNIX itself (although there are some legal quirks), command line is all you get. You can install KDE on FreeBSD, or anything else, or just leave it without GUI when using as a server.
    Kubuntu is a Linux distribution. Linux is command line, too. Kubuntu comes with KDE desktop environment by default, so you do not have to install it.

Wanting a more familiar interface, I downloaded and tried to install KDE. It loads and asks for language. Then I select "Install kubuntu".
    Normally you do not download anything by hand, in FreeBSD you update your ports tree and install from ports. Before you do that you set up your make.conf. FreeBSD is best when built from sources so it can be optimized for your CPU and customized to meet your needs. Normally after the install the first thing is to tweak your make.conf, update your system sources and rebuild the world. After that you start installing software.

Installing Applications: Packages and Ports