Find the answer to your Linux question:
looking around i could find some old threads on this topic but nothing recent, seems i need to install some plugins but not sure where to get them - any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how to play wmv in fc13/totem?

looking around i could find some old threads on this topic but nothing recent, seems i need to install some plugins but not sure where to get them - any help would be appreciated, also if you could be specific with instructions as i am a newbie. thanks in advance!

Have you tried VLC Player?
    Code:
    yum -y install vlc
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

It requires software with various licensing or patent issues, which Fedora doesn't provide.

You can get the necessary packages from the 3rd party rpmfusion repository.

Enable that and
    Code:
    su -
    yum install gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly
    Those will cover most any video/audio format you'll find and will work with any gstreamer based player, such as Totem or Banshee.

VLC also depends upon an ffmpeg package built with proper support for wmv files, so the default package in the Fedora repos may not work. The ffmpeg package in the rpmfusion repo will likely provide support for more media formats.

thanks, i guess what was missing in the older threads was how to enable the rpmfusion repository - as i said in the original post, i am a real newbie. thanks again!