Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Just been involved in a bit of technology fun-poking with a java/xml/xsl guru about something I did at the weekend: wget'ed a load of web pages, tidy'd them to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

file processing... friendly banter - java shmava versus perl/php

Hi

Just been involved in a bit of technology fun-poking with a java/xml/xsl guru about something I did at the weekend:
    wget'ed a load of web pages, tidy'd them to xhtml. xpath'd the content into SQL inserts and the jobs done... Bit of shell and a bit of php.

He comes along with his "xsl transformations" .. bla bla bla.. "much quicker in java" etc.

So my question is this..

If you had to process fields out of a load of files (which may or may not be xml-compliant) and had two resources available to you -
    1. a great java/xsl/xml person
    2. an equally great perl/shell/ programmer

On average, who would likely get there first?

Putting it another way, if you are going to scrape data out of files, which technology set of those mentioned above what do the job quickest?

Thanks

Kevin

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It depends... I'd make it a race, with a beer (or three) to the loser! Just to take the sting of losing off...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Well, I saw a shell / perl guy complete a Y2K project with 5 minutes thought and one deft command. It took about an hour to run and all that remained was re-compilation and testing. I don't know if anyone could beat that.

Funny it was, there we were disussing the division of labour when he piped up OK that's done! We thought he was joking - and it all worked!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, it depends a lot upon what is needed to be done, the complexity of the data, etc. Generalities like this are not conducive to proper analysis. I led a y2k team 11 or so years ago to analyze and remediate 10M lines of code. Part of that was not just the remediation, but the testing process as well - developing, validating, running test systems and processes/procedures, etc. Our customers were running multi-gigabyte real-time databases and we had to be able to verify that the processes and code changes would not have a negative effect on their systems. Personally, such a situation is not amenible to any single language/process/procedural paradigm.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Absolutely, it still had to be built, deployed in to test and tested and tested and tested, but it did save us weeks or maybe months of grunt work.

He did have the advantage of starting at the company before I was born* and writing a lot of the code in the first place. You either love or hate somebody who can do that; but either way you have to respect them.

* I'm not sure that's true but it probably wasn't far off he'd been there at least 25 years!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Well, I saw a shell / perl guy complete a Y2K project with 5 minutes thought and one deft command. It took about an hour to run and all that remained was re-compilation and testing. I don't know if anyone could beat that.

Funny it was, there we were disussing the division of labour when he piped up OK that's done! We thought he was joking - and it all worked!
    That rings bells - similar thing happened to me. Back in 2000 I had little unix experience and spent much of the morning faffing about with some c code on a solaris box trying to convert some data when the guy sat next to me asked me what I was doing. He then seemed to go into some sort of trance before banging out a couple of lines of sed and awk and doing in 5 minutes what I'd just spent 3 hours trying to achieve without being anywhere near finished.
    I felt quite dejected.