Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am not really a user of Linux so I have no idea how to go through with this. I had two hard drives connected to a router that acts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reparing/Restoring lost/corrupt ext3 partition

I am not really a user of Linux so I have no idea how to go through with this. I had two hard drives connected to a router that acts somewhat as a NAS server (tomato firmware). I have thought that there should be no problem with converting to ext3 to increase speed dramatically from usually the 2MBps using NTFS to what I would get is around 6MBps when converted to ext3. Now about a day ago there was a short blackout. Checking it today I see that both hard drives have had all the data erased from it. It would show nothing not even lost&found. After e2fsck they both show lost&found but the data is still not there. I have looked into a program that uses Windows to recover data and a quick scan shows most if not all the data is there. Now that solution has two problems. 1) I don't have enough HDD space anywhere else to do it since writing into the same HDD would just overwrite the files. 2) The files are not named (112535.mpeg or something like that). I then tried to switch superblocks but that did nothing but change one the name of the drive to a previous name I gave it. Does anyone know what to do in this situation and why ext3 is so unreliable since whenever I have NTFS during a blackout/ computer just poofs for some reason, it would never happen.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

The best recovery tools that I'm aware of for recovering lost partition tables and/or data are TestDisk and PhotoRec:

TestDisk - CGSecurity

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Documentation for using them can be found on their website. Not sure they will recover your data but probably worth a shot.

The easiest way to get and run these apps is by using the Parted Magic LiveCD:

Parted Magic LiveCD

Good luck with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I know it is possible to recover the data. But do those recover the drive or the data. Recovering the data itself has its own set of problems for me as said above.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close