Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been having a lot of problems with disk errors and want to find a solution or more stable distro. I can not post the link yet since I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best distro for least amount of disk errors

I have been having a lot of problems with disk errors and want to find a solution or more stable distro. I can not post the link yet since I am new but it is in the Ubuntu section of this forum and titled "Hibernate or spin down or hard shutdown causes errors."

I am running Ubuntu 10.4 64bit on an AMD64 2.2gh.

I have been doing my research about distros and know a bit about what is going on with Linux. Sort of transcending past newbie I think. But I want to know what is the most stable distro for the least amount of Disk errors, or how to get ubuntu not to have so many errors. Maybe install the 32bit version? I want something fast and simple where I can run gimp/inkscape/openoffice/and maybe some of the video editing packages like Kino/piviti/cinerella.

Thanks

Double posting a question is actually against Forum Rules...
    You might just want to keep the question limited to your original post.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Try running memtest to make sure it isn't a hardware problem. At least for me, Ubuntu has been very stable and I haven't had any disk errors in 2 1/2 years of running first 8.04 and now 10.04.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So sorry Jayd. Guess I sort of worded it wrong. I was trying to make that other post more for the ubuntu help, and this one more for my distro question. Thanks for the help over there on my other post!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jackheart View Post
    I want to know what is the most stable distro for the least amount of Disk errors, or how to get ubuntu not to have so many errors. Maybe install the 32bit version?
    Welcome to the forums!

Sure... try the 32-bit version and see how it goes. I don't believe any of the distros that are available have any certain amount of disk errors, so it's not at all easy to answer your question. The only way to truly find what works best for you and your hardware is to experiment with different distributions until you find one you like, and it likes your hardware. This takes some time and effort on your part but it's usually well worth it for the knowledge that you'll gain and the fact that in the end you are happy and your hardware is happy with the choice that you made.

Either way, I hope it all works out for you.
    oz