Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello Folks, A couple of years ago i have bought Suse 10.1 and it worked great on the PC i had (rather old one). Now i have bought a new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Installation issue

Hello Folks,

A couple of years ago i have bought Suse 10.1 and it worked great on the PC i had (rather old one).
    Now i have bought a new PC and tried to install Suse again but get problems with installation.
    When i Start comp up then the Suse (welcome) screen appearing and after i started the install then it goes wrong. getting kicked out to txt install screen and it seems that the install cannot mount the DVD i am using for further install..
    Have tried to copy DVD to harddisk and start the install from there but it didnt worked either.. perhaps i am doing something wrong, I dont know

Pls help a bit due i am a bit of a newbie in this field

If you have access to the internet, go to distrowatch.com and download the ISO for openSuse 11.3 or another distgro of your choice and try installing that. Make sure that your hardware works with the type of disk you are trying to use. I recently had prblems getting a DVD to play, then realized the laptop I was trying to use had a CD only drive.

Just Joined!
    The thing is that i have a fairly decent new PC.
    The DVD starts normally up and get the Welcome screen from Suse.
    When i press the install the Linux kernel is loading and a new screen pops up (where actually the installation screen appearing (if i remember right its called Yart or someting like that).. then the drive stops and getting kicked to the text version of the intall and there i see it cannot mount the drive which i find it weird because it is seen at the startup.

I dont know how to make a system dump.. otherwise i would have posted here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I had this issue a while back also I think. Is there a different install option, like safe mode or something like that? IIRC, I had to use that, install the graphics drivers and then all was fine.

Ubuntu has an alternate install that often overcomes issues like you are having. Does Suse have an alternate install?

I noticed that suse 11.3 has both KDE and Gnome versions you can download. Which one are you trying to install? You might want to try the other one to see if that works better.

Just Joined!
    It has several different install option's and have tried them all with every time the same result.
    Installation does not proceed due the program is unable to mount the DVD/CDROM drive, have looked in the driver list which comes with the package but wasn't able to find a usefull driver in the list.

I have tried to install Suse 10.1 which might be outdated..
    At this moment i am downloading the latest version (11.3) and cross my fingers it will works...

Anyhow, i will come back with results and thanks to those who have reacted on this post

It looks like Installer is not configuring your Graphics Card or something is wrong with installation DVD.

Have you tried same DVD in any other machine. Installer doesn't change anything in Hard disk before Partitioning.

Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hello,
    My Graphics card is a NVidia GeForce 120 GT
    Drive is a HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L SCSI CdROM
    PC is AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad core with 4MB Ram

I have tried all different installations setups (with and without ACPI). Save mode and even on Text mode.
    I get every time the same problem when installations begins all stops and getting a (low) level screen which tells me that the DVD is not found.

When i try to install from there then i get message Cannot Mount DVD Drive.
    Tried DVD and normall CdRom for install..
    All same result

When looking in settings then i see that Generic SCSI and CdRom driver is loaded. Further i cannot find the Driver in the list what comes with the Package

ps. I dont know how i get a list dump with all info about my PC.. otherwise i would have posted that list too

Just Joined!
    I just have download latest version of Ubuntu and installed it with no problem at all
    Is there a uninstall option within Ubuntu, or do i have to format disk to achieve that, the reason is that I like Suse (personal opinion) and will give it a shot when i have downloaded it.

I don't think i have problems at all.. and have the impression that there is conflicts lies with the Suse version i tried to install and the PC i have (Drive is not found) and will see if i am right when l start installing latest Suse,,

I will return here after that.

Greetings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast