Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have a completely new desktop and I have installed Ubuntu on it. That happened yesterday, today morning there is no internet connection on my desktop. I don't know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mandriva on Ubuntu

Hi,

I have a completely new desktop and I have installed Ubuntu on it. That happened yesterday, today morning there is no internet connection on my desktop. I don't know what happened.

Anyway after all I have decided to put Mandriva over Ubuntu - that was the original plan - but now I am facing problems with installing Mandriva.

1st. The oriiginal cd drive is not recognised by Ubuntu
    Therefore I am using an old drive which at least is working.

2nd I cannot run Mandriva dvd.

My questions:

How can I delete Ubuntu and replace it with Mandriva?
    If this is too difficult, I would switch back to Windows 7 as this is cause me too much headache and as someone new in Linux I am losing precious time. At least in Windows I have a bit of experience. The windows 7 dvd it cannot be run also.

I hope there is somebody with enough patience to help me to solve this problem.

Thank you.

Csilla

Just Joined!
    Are you able to restart your computer and configure the BIOS settings so that it will boot from a CD/DVD? I'm a little confused about what's working, what's not, and under what conditions, but if you can boot to a CD/DVD, then restart your computer with the Mandriva disk in the CD/DVD drive you can boot to. When your computer boots and the Mandriva CD loads, you should be given the option to install the Mandriva OS. (You may actually enter a live version of the OS before getting the install option as an icon on the live version desktop.) Then, when you install Mandriva, use the whole drive (or partition it as you wish), wiping out the Ubuntu install.

If you need help getting to the BIOS and configuring it to boot from the DVD drive, we'll need more info about the computer itself. It may be set that way already, so try it.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your quick reply.

I can reboot my computer, in BIOS I have set up the priority to boot from dvd. I inserted Mandriva dvd in it and stiil Ubuntu is the one that boots.

What if my Mandriva dvd is wrong? Do you know any good source for Mandriva?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If I insert Ubuntu dvd again, it boots from there.

Just Joined!
    So your Mandriva DVD is suspect, and based on your follow-up question, you didn't build it. You can get the image to make a bootable Mandriva CD here:

Mandriva Linux Downloads

It's a large download, which may not be a problem for you, but you might want to look at what's on the Mandriva DVD you have to see if there's a chance to save yourself the download. See if there's a readme file or some other file that tells you what to do with the DVD or instructions to turn it into something useful. If not, proceed with the download of a new .iso image.

You'll then use a program to burn the .iso image to a CD which will then be a bootable image. The program you'll use to do the burning will depend on the operating system you're using to do the burn, but there are open source options. You can find info about burning an .iso image to CD with a simple Google search.

Don't give up.

In present days, we get to using DVD and CD sort of interchangably because most computers read both, but make sure you aren't trying to play a
    DVD in player that only reads CD's. If you need to download an ISO, try distrowatch.com, they can take you to the best site for downloading each distro.

Just Joined!
    THank you for your support!!

I got the right Mandriva now, has already started the instalation but requires login and password. What would that be?

Here is the message shown on the screen:

Mandriva Linux release 2010.1 (Offical) for i586
    Kernel 2.6.33.5-desktop586-2mnb on a Dual-processor i686 / tty1
    localhost login:

Have you got any idea? I've tried GUest as suggested in another forum, but it didn't work.

Not sure on Mandriva, but some distro's use user or root for initial logon. Somewhere in the install process, you should see a screen that lists initial logon passwords, or that allows you to set your own.

Just Joined!
    Somehow -no idea how did it happen- my issue has been solved, I have Mandriva now, running beautifully but without internet connection.

Now here is my problem, it says:
    Network is down on interface wired.

If I plug the internet wire in my laptop it is working, no problem with it.

I have already configured network, but still cannot be connected.

Just Joined!
    Good job!

As for your current troubles, you might want to start a new thread with a good title that explains that you're trying to get your internet connection working in Mandriva. What you've said most recently sounds like the wired connection is working but wireless is not. (?). What you've said is confusing. If you could be more specific, describe what's happening, how that doesn't agree with what you'd like to happen, what you've done to correct, and the results, etc., you'll get some networking advice to help you reach the next level.

Add any info you can about your hardware, network card, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast