Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright so let me tell you what i want to do.i'm running fedora core 13 i installed gcc (yum install gcc) in terminal. I'm starting out in C++ to write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Compileing programs i wrote?!?

Alright so let me tell you what i want to do.i'm running fedora core 13 i installed gcc (yum install gcc) in terminal. I'm starting out in C++ to write some basic code now what im looking for is a decent editor to get started with. Also after a write my code how do i compile?

lets say i want to compile this code

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

main()
    {
             printf("Linuxforums.org\n");
    }
    Last edited by donaldfarkas; 08-30-2010 at 09:16 PM.

OK, assuming you name your file hello.c
    you can compile the easy way

Code:
    rcgreen@blue:~$ make hello
    cc     hello.c   -o hello
    rcgreen@blue:~$ ./hello
    Linuxquestions.org
    rcgreen@blue:~$
    If everything is installed properly you can just use the make
    command. It invokes the compiler with the actual command

cc hello.c -o hello

Your program is ready to execute.

Just Joined!
    You asked for a decent programming editor. In some places, that simple question will start a lengthy debate that'll go on for weeks without end or a useful answer. You can find some of the debates by Googling.

Some believe simple is best and doing everything from the command line builds character and better programmers. Those in that camp will recommend Emacs, Vi, Vim, GEdit, Kate, and other command-line editors.

Then there are those who think programming with tools from the 90s (80s?) is like hunting tigers with spears. Those might recommend GUI integrated development environments like Geany, KDevelop, Eclipse, NetBeans, etc.

Decide for yourself which tools are best for your learning goals. Check back here occasionally to see how the debate is going.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
    You asked for a decent programming editor. In some places, that simple question will start a lengthy debate that'll go on for weeks without end or a useful answer. You can find some of the debates by Googling.

Some believe simple is best and doing everything from the command line builds character and better programmers. Those in that camp will recommend Emacs, Vi, Vim, GEdit, Kate, and other command-line editors.

Then there are those who think programming with tools from the 90s (80s?) is like hunting tigers with spears. Those might recommend GUI integrated development environments like Geany, KDevelop, Eclipse, NetBeans, etc.

Decide for yourself which tools are best for your learning goals. Check back here occasionally to see how the debate is going.

thx alot for the info greg definatly something to think about.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you are just starting out with a language, keep the editor simple so you focus on the language not the environment.

Full IDE's with hints and autocomplete and things are great but they hinder learning the language; they are much more useful when you know what you are doing and are working on a bigger project or five! Just my opinion.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent