Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am working on a project for my local community college to incorporate some linux into an existing windows active directory domain. Basically, all students and faculty get a web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding users from Windows domain

I am working on a project for my local community college to incorporate some linux into an existing windows active directory domain. Basically, all students and faculty get a web site. I have samba and apache up and running. I am using winbind to authenticate users from the existing doamin. The problem I have is in generating users account on the linux box.
    There are anywhere from 5000 to 6000 users per term. Doing this manually would be very prohibitive. They currently use scripts on the windows side to generate home directories, etc. Is there any way I can tap into this script or automate user creation?
    Any help would be appreciated.

fmertus

Linux Engineer
    Of course you can make such script...this is linux we are talking about!! But it exists programs that you can connect to the existing micrsoft domain and administer all users through usrmgr(NT4), i know it worked on a NT-domain but i cant say on AD...i havent tried that so much yet. I belive it can be a little tricky with AD with all roles and controls.

Regards

Regards

Andutt